cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Chromecast with Google TV

Hi @JonnyB147 

Out of curiosity do you have a NowTV Sports Pass and if so does the six Sky Sports channels offer 50fps playback with a Boost Pass or is it 25fps across all eleven channels when casting to your Google TV.

I don't have the new Google TV device, where i was just wondering where when i cast to my Philips Android TV it is only 25fps with Boost when watching Sports.

I also don't own a Chromecast gen 3 or Chromecast Ultra which supports 50fps for NowTV Sports on the six channels.

Obviously if you haven't got an NowTV Sports pass you won't be able to check or answer my question.

Thanks

0 Thanks
Scholar

I do have a now tv sports month pass with now tv boost and it works for the new chromecast. It’s just the 6 sports channels at 50fps and the other 5 at 25fps. The Chromecast Gen 3 and ultra do boost at 50fps but not Gen 1 or 2. 

Advocate

As suggested in this thread, I emailed Sky this morning and just received the following response from [email removed] 😞

There is no plans at present to launch NOW TV on Google TV.

Apart from the bad grammar, it is disappointing that there is an app sitting there that could be used right now, but it is being held back for no particular reason.

0 Thanks
Legend 5
Legend 5

Maybe NowTV have done an exclusivity deal with Sony for Android TV ?

NowTV and LG did something similar before the NowTV App was available and released for Samsung (though on a different OS) about one or two years later.

Saying that it would be great to have the native inbuilt NowTV App on my Philips Android TV which would save me casting to it or using my NowTV box.

0 Thanks
Advocate

Yeah it's ridiculous! They need to support google tv. I love that the homepage shows movies and tv from all of my media apps. Now TV needs to be a part of it! 

0 Thanks
Advocate

The bizarre thing here is that I had a Sky Atlantic show (Riviera) recommended with no option to view/purchase on the movie recommendations section. It was in the wrong feed as it's a 'Show', however, it mentioned in the blurb that it was a Sky Atlantic show which implies to me that there maybe something happening - Google did announce the Google TV UI would be coming to Sony TV's next year as well.

0 Thanks
Scholar 3

I don't really think an exclusivity deal makes sense given its available on so many other platforms now. I really do hope it's just a matter of certifying the device.

0 Thanks
Advocate

Got to admit, for me this is painfully simple.

want to subscribe

won't subscribe without support for my devices, which are hardly niche.

So, they lose a customer, and some profit.

I doubt it's just myself with that attitude. The likely cost of enabling a pre-existing ATV app for wider use (if it exists for Sony Android TV) is small, and the cost of developing it in the first place is less likely to be recouped with platform restrictions in place. Unless there is an exclusivity deal with Sony, of course.

So, cash stays in wallet. Same goes for All4's ad free service.

0 Thanks
Mentor

Hi,

Would it be possible to get hold of that apk from the YouTube video, please?

0 Thanks
Mentor

Hi @glen8 ,

Would it be possible to get the APK you shared in the YouTube video, please? 

0 Thanks