cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate

Re: Chromecast with Google TV

Lovin’ the Chromecast with Google TV .. Not loving the fact that Now TV doesn’t support it via android tv. Will email now.

Mentor

over to you now Sky

https://youtu.be/VOARC1IiUAk

Scholar 3

Truly ridiculous that they're blocking it with a one line if statement. So it's completely functional they're just locking it out of other Android TV devices for what?

0 Thanks
Scholar

They may have certain deals in place with Sony over the app or they may be planning on bringing it to google tv 

0 Thanks
Mentor

@Brandscill   I only wish it were that easy.  It took me hours and hours.  First to decode the app as it had lots of anti-tamper measures in.  Most of the time the data couldn't be read, or it had weird characters in.  Once I got that out of the way, I noticed that "if" statement, but it was only doing some screen resolution checking.

Every android device has something called a build.props file (you can read it, but cant change it) which contains make, model, and other hardware attributes like bluetooth, camera, touch-screen etc etc.  What the Now TV apps doing is reading that, and passing it to a sky server for external verification.  Only once that passes does the app load.  I can only assume theres a file they keep under lock and key with all the sony models in.

The error message saying "NOW TV is not supported on this device"  comes from the internet, not the app itself so it was a dead giveaway as to where the checks were happening.

Strangley I noticed lots of references to amazon fire sticks, and loads of comments where they are testing things out.  Everything says 'beta', so it looks far from finished.

0 Thanks
Scholar 3

@glen8 Ah, okay that makes sense

So you've just hard coded a return to mock success from the server. Very
clever.

If I get some time next weekend I'll probably end up attempting the same.

The frustrating part in all of this is the app would work on any Android TV
device, like the shield or the Mi TV but they're just locking it down.

I guess the good news is you've exposed that they're potentially extending it for other devices, so hopefully it is just a matter of when and not if.

0 Thanks
Advocate

Same just hooked mine up for the City vs Arsenal game it still works if you cast it to the TV but hoping for an actual app for the new Google TV

0 Thanks

Yes at the moment, we have two missing main streaming app:

- All 4

- Now TV

I really hope that Now TV release very soon a standard app for this device as using the Chromecast feature is not that user friendly. The shame is that I cannot see any mean to have a contact and therefore an answer from Now TV if an app will be available on this device and if yes how soon.

Advocate

I also have the new chromecast.

Have any of you tested NowTV Boost when casting? Does it work? I cancelled my boost pass a few weeks back when I stoped having any device that could take advantage of it so would appreciate knowing if I can re-enable it.

thanks!

0 Thanks
Scholar

Yes I have tried Now TV Boost and yes it works fine as normal on the new Chromecast With Google TV.

0 Thanks