cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidjspooner
Advocate

Re: Chromecast with Google TV

"launch" implies they have to do work. I think from the youtube link further up the thread the reality is all they have to do is remove the bit that "blocks" the app from working on the chromecast. 

I'd suspect the answer is a mix of 

a) google wont give us money, sony did so they get an exclusive

b) if we enable it we have to support it / QA test it and at present its not a big enough market / user base - maybe if the device become smore popular

I think both are short sighted personally, the new chromcast is a great little device and i find myself watching shows on it far more than i do on my roku box. Even though the apps i use ( disney/netflix) are on both.  That means i dont see the now tv app on my screen so much and I'm using it far less.  In time if i stop using it then i may start to question its value.

0 Thanks
Narse
Advocate

To me this sums up the difference in attitude between the new media companies and the old.  The new companies want as many people as possible to use their service; and do everything they can to get their app out there.  The old act like they are doing us a favour by letting us consume their service.  The app is written, but Sky is not willing to let us use it unless Google pays for the privilage.

This is why I only pay for Now TV when I have to (I watch F1 so just subscribe to the season in the cheapest way possible).  Whereas the new media companies I am happy to subscribe to all the time.  If Sky treated customers better then I might use their service more.

0 Thanks
crevicekid
Advocate

Add me to the list of users wanting this

0 Thanks
Mikeaj96
Scholar

Interestingly the Apple TV App is heading to ChromeCast with Google TV next year -

https://blog.google/products/google-tv/apple-tv/

0 Thanks
KikiB
Advocate

Hi @glen8 .

Any chance you can add a public link to that modified APK? Would be much appreciated.

0 Thanks
DOSirl
Mentor

I'd love that too, if you could post it, please?
0 Thanks
George66
Mentor

Yes definitely no now tv app on google chromecast appstore

0 Thanks
George66
Mentor

I'm actually using the now tv app on my phone and casting it to the chromecast it works great but would prefer if the app was available in the chromecast appstore 

Smackos
Scholar

What's more annoying is that it's launched finally even on Firestick devices, so it's already running on yet another Android based device. Hopefully they realise how easy it will be to launch on Google Tv, and add it soon. But given how long it's taken for the likes of the Firestick and Apple TV to gain anything worthwhile I wouldn't hold my hopes up.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Smackos 

One thing that we have to bare in mind is that Sky being owned by Comcast, things will be moving along quicker than what they had been before. 

Since under the helms of Comcast they have introduced 1080p with 5.1, offline downloads. Launching on Sony Bravia Android TVs with more devices on the horizon.

Hopefully we will continue to see Now TV evolve into a better service in this new new year. 

0 Thanks