cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast not working

Chromecast has just started to not work, getting a message "Viewing stopped Something's gone wrong.  If the problem persists contact online support team"

All was working ok until today.  rebooted phone and chromecast same error. Anyone any ideas please?

Also, searched site, no idea how to contact online support - appears to not be an option, am I missing something obvious?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

There has been an important development in relation to this problem. Yesterday evening, I received the following email:

"Hi, Thanks for your recent contact to NOW TV. We're really sorry to see you've been having issues when attempting to view NOW TV on your Chromecast device. We wanted to let you know that our technical team have been looking into this and the issue should now be resolved. Thanks for your patience whilst this was investigated. Happy Watching!

The NOW TV Team"

This morning I opened Google Chrome on my laptop and then the Now TV app on my tablet. I then attempted to cast from the tablet to the TV. It worked! I was also able to end the cast without issue. Tried several times and it worked fine every time. So it looks like the problem has, indeed, been resolved.

There was an update to Google Chrome that I downloaded before trying all this so, if you're still encountering the issue, you might want to check for the update first.

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi dgilbert2,

It's looking that way. I'd isolated my Chromecasts on their own VLAN to
get around the issue. Needed to undo the fix in order to watch a film
tonight, and to my surprise, was able to fire up NowTV and cast as
normal. What gives?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I read a post on here that’s said the issue is related to the Chrome browser running on a PC or Mac on the same network.

I have just uninstalled the chrome browser from my iMac and shutdown my laptop and I am once again able to cast from my iOS devices to the chromecast again.

it only seems to interfere with NOWTV as all other services worked before and after.

I’m so happy as I have my chromecast plugged into a HD RF modulator to allow me to cast to any TV in our house in 1080p via the aerial while only using  one device slot my NOW TV account.

RoyB
Legend

I’d love to see a technical explanation of this.

It’s unlikely that the NowTV app is running round your roster of devices, or even that it would be allowed to if it tried.

So I suspect that any open Chrome browser is broadcasting to all other devices that will listen, and the NowTV app is listening, and the presence of the Chrome browser discombobulates it into not working properly.

Maybe it is trying to cast via that browser, maybe something else - who knows?

But mucho bizarro, and kudos to the discoverer of this weirdness.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sadly we still have the problem.

All instances of the chrome browser have to be closed, on all devices on the home LAN, to be able to cast NOW TV to a Chromecast.

It is a PITA.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, a right PITA.  I've rebooted the router, factory reset the Chromecast, resinstalled Now TV on my phone and still it doesn't work.  All other phone apps are able to cast on to my TV.  Had to watch sport using my laptop ths afternoon, grrrrrr.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yup issue still persists

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mine started working tonight, not changed anything 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

There has been an important development in relation to this problem. Yesterday evening, I received the following email:

"Hi, Thanks for your recent contact to NOW TV. We're really sorry to see you've been having issues when attempting to view NOW TV on your Chromecast device. We wanted to let you know that our technical team have been looking into this and the issue should now be resolved. Thanks for your patience whilst this was investigated. Happy Watching!

The NOW TV Team"

This morning I opened Google Chrome on my laptop and then the Now TV app on my tablet. I then attempted to cast from the tablet to the TV. It worked! I was also able to end the cast without issue. Tried several times and it worked fine every time. So it looks like the problem has, indeed, been resolved.

There was an update to Google Chrome that I downloaded before trying all this so, if you're still encountering the issue, you might want to check for the update first.

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Thanks for bearing with us while we investigated and fixed this issue.

@Anonymous User  Good to see it's working for you - can confirm we rolled out a fix at the start of the week and have had reports that this seems to be working for everyone.

Thanks

Simon

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The error message still appears when I try to cast a film to Sony tv using my iPad though will play through app on iPad. Have been able to cast trailers and watch on tv.