cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast not working

Chromecast has just started to not work, getting a message "Viewing stopped Something's gone wrong.  If the problem persists contact online support team"

All was working ok until today.  rebooted phone and chromecast same error. Anyone any ideas please?

Also, searched site, no idea how to contact online support - appears to not be an option, am I missing something obvious?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

There has been an important development in relation to this problem. Yesterday evening, I received the following email:

"Hi, Thanks for your recent contact to NOW TV. We're really sorry to see you've been having issues when attempting to view NOW TV on your Chromecast device. We wanted to let you know that our technical team have been looking into this and the issue should now be resolved. Thanks for your patience whilst this was investigated. Happy Watching!

The NOW TV Team"

This morning I opened Google Chrome on my laptop and then the Now TV app on my tablet. I then attempted to cast from the tablet to the TV. It worked! I was also able to end the cast without issue. Tried several times and it worked fine every time. So it looks like the problem has, indeed, been resolved.

There was an update to Google Chrome that I downloaded before trying all this so, if you're still encountering the issue, you might want to check for the update first.

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Use this link: https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/technical-device-issues/problems-watching-now-tv
Scroll to bottom of screen where you'll see "How to get in touch". Click the white chevron in a blue circle and a Chat Online button will appear. They obviously want to keep this hidden away!
Btw, I was promised an email from their technical team when the operative couldn't resolve the problem. Still waiting!
Best of luck.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, hidden is correct! 

Their customer service really sucks. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK, turned off my Win 10 laptop, and  phone now casts. So weird. So the Chrome issue is confirmed for me. I think this is a Google issue, not Now TV. Anyway, work around, works. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Im getting the same issue. have rebooted chromecast, restarted phone, tablet, laptop and still facing issue.

Can cast others apps fine.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok. Since my original post on this thread (13/09/2020), several people have suggested the problem is caused by someone on the same network having Google Chrome open. So, last night I waited for everyone to go to bed and all computers to be switched off. I then booted by tablet, opened the Now TV app and attempted to cast one of the trailers. Voila! It worked! No problem at all. Also, I managed to stop the cast without issue as well (more of which later).

I tried again this morning before any computer had been switched on. Again, the cast worked fine. I then booted my laptop and opened Google Chrome, tried to cast from my tablet and got the error message! All that happens is an advertisement (a picture, not a video) is cast to the TV (currently I Hate Suzie).

Furthermore, when I try and stop the cast (of the picture), this too fails. It shows on my tablet as having stopped casting, but the picture remains on my TV. If I close the Now TV app and reopen it, it shows as still casting! The only way to stop the cast of the picture is to open the Google Home app and stop the cast from there.

It doesn't matter if the device is using WiFi or Ethernet to connect to the internet, as soon as someone opens Google Chrome it prevents any attempt at casting Now TV.

The only things I haven't tried yet are: (1) casting from Now TV and then opening Google Chrome; and (2) attempting to cast when another browser (e.g. Firefox) is open. My guess is neither will cause Now TV to stop casting. However, opening Google Chrome after successfully casting will probably prevent me stopping the cast without going into the Google Home app.

I have today fed all this back to Sky/Now TV by email to [email removed] and would urge others to do the same. Clearly, this is a major issue and the more people that complain the more chance Sky will do something about it!

Apologies for the length of this post, but I hope it provides some help to other frustrated users having the same issue. If anyone comes up with a permanent fix, please post it asap. Thanks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks.  It looks like the issue, I just tried it, and when having chrome open on my laptop, now TV does not cast (or stop casting as described).  Tried it on my desktop, and it didn't seem to to have the same effect, not sure why as they are all on the same network! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Really strange problem, but at least there is a workaround for anyone who
finds this post
dgilbert2
Scholar

Ditto - and a big thank you!

I cannot start/control NowTV on Chromecast if a laptop has Google Chrome running. 

Hope this gets fixed soon.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

I just stumbled across your post, so first and foremost thank you for the work around.

I don't know if you did any more testing on this but I just started something casting and then started Chrome about a minute into the cast, to which the cast continued.  

I was then able to stop and disconnect the cast from within the app, without having to close Chrome.

Then, while Chrome was still open, I was then able to re-connect to the Chromecast from the app and then start streaming something to the device. Kind of didn't expect the latter behaviour, but it was almost like with Chrome open, it recognised the device and started working without issue.  I also then tried on a second Chromecast device which also didn't work previously and that also began to work without issue. 

Something very weird indeed is going on here, but for now, touch wood, everything is working correctly in my house, even when I'm using the Chrome browser.

dgilbert2
Scholar

Fingers crossed something seems to have been updated??? I can now cast NowTV again, even if Chrome is running on laptops.

TOUCH WOOD!