cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast counts as a device!

I think it's absolutely outrageous that chromecast counts as a device! You can't actually use chromecast alone. So you have to use a tablet to go on now tv then cast it and this counts as 2 devices! I would understand if you could actually use chromecast alone but you can't. Netflix doesn't count it as a device??????????
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi all

I've posted this to help anyone who is having device issues in relation to chromecast

Methods of handling the chromecast
before I go into how chrome cast works on NowTV. Let me explain the ways in which chromecast can be handled that use device limits such as nowTV.

The most common way in which chromecast is handled is that the device which is used as the control device for the chrome cast is registered as a device but the chromecast itself isn't registered. The major disadvantage to this method is that only a registered device can control the chromecast. Although just like the second method I am going to explain below you are still able to move the chromecast . This is not the method NowTV uses to handle the chromecast.

The less common way of handling chromecast is that the chromecast itself is registered as a device. The advantage of this is that it does not matter what device controls the chromecast. When you consider that a chromecast can easily be moved and will work on any piece of equipment that has HDMI input and supports HDCP. (I say equipment not Just screens because chromecast can be connected to AV receivers and then you have the AV receiver output to a TV).

Using chromecast on NowTV

given what has been explained above. The less common method which by the way is the method NowTV uses to handle the chromecast allows you in to somewhat circumvent the device limit because you can very easily change the screen/equipment you are using for the chromecast without it affecting your devices because it is the chromecast itself that is registered as a device not the screen or equipment you're using with the chromecast, so you can move the chromecast around and as mentioned above with this method any device can be used to control the chromecast. So if used correctly. This method gives you a lot of freedom.

The one really important thing to remember when using chromecast with NowTV is that if you do not want the control device for the chromecast to be registered as a device, you must first put the NowTV app on your tablet or phone into cast mode before you play any content. This will prevent your phone or tablet from being registered as a device and only the chromecast will be registered.

If you do not put the app into cast mode before playing content then your tablet or phone will be registered as a device and when you cast to the chromecast a second device slot will be used

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous User
Not applicable

why does nobody  from now tv admit that they dont want you using your tablet or phone to go to a friends house and cast your now tv account to their tv , this means now tv cant charge them for watching the programme or movie . 

that is why your chromecast uses a device slot .

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So now that I know how this works it's really quite flexible.

Just set up a couple of Chromecasts where you need them (I've got one in the kitchen and one in the living room) then download NowTV on ALL your other devices (phones, tablets, PC etc.) as many as you want. Then always click on cast before you play and they don't count as a device. You then still have a couple of devices left for when you are out and about.

This just needs to be communicated clearly by NowTV when the error message pops up about changing devices

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's just ridiculous. It's ok saying that the solution is press cast before you play it, but what happens when you forget or if someone else your watching tv with presses play before casting!
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you don't watch on your phone and you don't want it to end up on your device list the best thing is to fill your device list up with your Chromecast and the three other devices you want to watch on. Then anyone forgetting to press cast first will end up with a device limit reached message rather than your phone being added to your list.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It just happened to me and I did not know before hand, it is not fair. On my account it even said I can add two devices and it only let me add the phone now I have a screaming kid and no nick Jr. I would like someone that works for now TV to come on this and explain why the settings are set up this way and what they are going to do about it.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

And in addition I can't add anything else for another month. My now TV box broke.doen
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. I'm not staff but with regards your problem if you have a word with Live Chat, and explain what's happened hooefully they can sort something out for you as a courtesy so that your son/daughter can watch again.

To reach live chat go to the following help page
https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/managing-my-devices

Then if you follow @commanda6 's advice in the post above you should be sorted.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,I'm using chromecast ,is there an app for remote so I can get sub- titles ,thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Looking at the current NowTV supported devices that can offer subtitles, then i would say no at the moment (i might be wrong though).

Where you need a mobile device or tablet with the NowTV app that you can cast to your Chromecast, where looking at the guide article linked below no casting device is currently on the list which can support subtitles on the NowTV service.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-now-tv-with-subtitles 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Absolute ######... I pay 20 per month for entertainment movies and kids and can only watch on 4 devices 2screens... Netflix is 10 a month and it's unlimited devices 4 screens and 4k content, chromecast should not be considered as a device, it's screen mirroring, if I want to watch now tv in my truck then cast to chromecast when I get home. I have to use 2 of my 4 devices? Sort it out NOW TV