cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast counts as a device!

I think it's absolutely outrageous that chromecast counts as a device! You can't actually use chromecast alone. So you have to use a tablet to go on now tv then cast it and this counts as 2 devices! I would understand if you could actually use chromecast alone but you can't. Netflix doesn't count it as a device??????????
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi all

I've posted this to help anyone who is having device issues in relation to chromecast

Methods of handling the chromecast
before I go into how chrome cast works on NowTV. Let me explain the ways in which chromecast can be handled that use device limits such as nowTV.

The most common way in which chromecast is handled is that the device which is used as the control device for the chrome cast is registered as a device but the chromecast itself isn't registered. The major disadvantage to this method is that only a registered device can control the chromecast. Although just like the second method I am going to explain below you are still able to move the chromecast . This is not the method NowTV uses to handle the chromecast.

The less common way of handling chromecast is that the chromecast itself is registered as a device. The advantage of this is that it does not matter what device controls the chromecast. When you consider that a chromecast can easily be moved and will work on any piece of equipment that has HDMI input and supports HDCP. (I say equipment not Just screens because chromecast can be connected to AV receivers and then you have the AV receiver output to a TV).

Using chromecast on NowTV

given what has been explained above. The less common method which by the way is the method NowTV uses to handle the chromecast allows you in to somewhat circumvent the device limit because you can very easily change the screen/equipment you are using for the chromecast without it affecting your devices because it is the chromecast itself that is registered as a device not the screen or equipment you're using with the chromecast, so you can move the chromecast around and as mentioned above with this method any device can be used to control the chromecast. So if used correctly. This method gives you a lot of freedom.

The one really important thing to remember when using chromecast with NowTV is that if you do not want the control device for the chromecast to be registered as a device, you must first put the NowTV app on your tablet or phone into cast mode before you play any content. This will prevent your phone or tablet from being registered as a device and only the chromecast will be registered.

If you do not put the app into cast mode before playing content then your tablet or phone will be registered as a device and when you cast to the chromecast a second device slot will be used

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

It depends how you use Chromecast. You do need a phone or tablet to send commands to the Chromecast via the NOW TV app, but if you never watch on the phone or tablet screen and always press the cast button before choosing something to play, the phone or tablet won't be added as a device.

If however you watch NOW TV on the phone or tablet screen as well, then both get added as devices because both are being used to watch content on.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy wrote:

It depends how you use Chromecast. You do need a phone or tablet to send commands to the Chromecast via the NOW TV app, but if you never watch on the phone or tablet screen and always press the cast button before choosing something to play, the phone or tablet won't be added as a device.

If however you watch NOW TV on the phone or tablet screen as well, then both get added as devices because both are being used to watch content on.

Seems like you are obliged to take up two devices because I always cast after I start watching things.  I suppose if you have the other three device slots taken then you could prevent it, but otherwise most likely two slots will be taken up.

Glad I only use chromecast for Google Play.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was just about to start a thread about this myself. It's totally unfair. Not happy about the response either. Yes, both devices might be used but the phone ends up as a remote. It's like penalising you for having a remote or a TV if the TV has cast feature built-in. Come on Sky. Netflix doesn't even do that. Restrictive and annoying that it counts as a device. You could have the Chromecast dongle at your parents or in-laws, like I do, but you're unable to cast. It's silly and very behind the times.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The phone/tablet isn't added as a device if you only ever use it as the 'remote' for your Chromecast as long as you remember to press the cast button before you choose what content to play. It only gets added as a device if you watch something on the phone/tablet app itself.

If you've accidentally added your phone/tablet to your device list and you don't want to use your phone/tablet to watch NOW TV on then you can remove it from your device list to make room for something else, it will still work as your Chromecast's remote providing you follow the above step.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy-your missing the point completely.   We have tablets / mobiles as they are well mobile,  so we watch content on then, but when at home id like to then cast that to a TV rather that huddling round a tablet.   but that uses 2 devices for a single operation. My wife has a Tablet also and we have 2 chromecasts, so we cant use these along with our NOWTV box.  Doing a fudge to cast first and then stream a movie prevents the tablet being registered as a devices yes, but then that takes away the point of having NOWTV app on the tablet.

How you feel this is acceptable and reasonable iits beyond me, your advice /answer is useless.

@Andy wrote:

@Anonymous User

The phone/tablet isn't added as a device if you only ever use it as the 'remote' for your Chromecast as long as you remember to press the cast button before you choose what content to play. It only gets added as a device if you watch something on the phone/tablet app itself.

If you've accidentally added your phone/tablet to your device list and you don't want to use your phone/tablet to watch NOW TV on then you can remove it from your device list to make room for something else, it will still work as your Chromecast's remote providing you follow the above step.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User You're not the only on here who thinks my posts are useless. I'm used to it.

I'm not missing the point, I get your point, but as that's the way NOW TV have set things up there's nothing I can do about it, other than trying to offer ways that some people can work around it. In your case with your many devices it won't help you unfortunately.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy

Andy

You know, in the past we have had our disagreements, being on opposite ends of a discussion, but I like and appreciate your posts, keep on doing what your doing.

Andy, yes.

Yes.jpg

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Very dissapointing that Sky treat people like this, its obvious that if your using a chrome cast youll have a mobile device that you want to stream from AND use outside of the chromecast,  thats basically what they are designed for.  I really dont understand the device limit nonsense.  NowTV will say oh its because due to licencing issues with film studios etc they have to limit and thats just complete rubbish.  

You are only able to stream to 2 devices at any one time so why put a limit on the number of devices that you can register as this wouldnt matter.

So as ive only just joined and found out about the chromecast fiasco, as i hit a limit pretty quick, the chromecasts are now going back, and NOWTV will be cancelled at the end of my 3 month subscription.  @Anonymous User only way is to vote with your feet, or sit in hear for years posting thousands of posts about the same thing under the "guise of trying to help"

Over and Out

Smiley Sad

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi all

I've posted this to help anyone who is having device issues in relation to chromecast

Methods of handling the chromecast
before I go into how chrome cast works on NowTV. Let me explain the ways in which chromecast can be handled that use device limits such as nowTV.

The most common way in which chromecast is handled is that the device which is used as the control device for the chrome cast is registered as a device but the chromecast itself isn't registered. The major disadvantage to this method is that only a registered device can control the chromecast. Although just like the second method I am going to explain below you are still able to move the chromecast . This is not the method NowTV uses to handle the chromecast.

The less common way of handling chromecast is that the chromecast itself is registered as a device. The advantage of this is that it does not matter what device controls the chromecast. When you consider that a chromecast can easily be moved and will work on any piece of equipment that has HDMI input and supports HDCP. (I say equipment not Just screens because chromecast can be connected to AV receivers and then you have the AV receiver output to a TV).

Using chromecast on NowTV

given what has been explained above. The less common method which by the way is the method NowTV uses to handle the chromecast allows you in to somewhat circumvent the device limit because you can very easily change the screen/equipment you are using for the chromecast without it affecting your devices because it is the chromecast itself that is registered as a device not the screen or equipment you're using with the chromecast, so you can move the chromecast around and as mentioned above with this method any device can be used to control the chromecast. So if used correctly. This method gives you a lot of freedom.

The one really important thing to remember when using chromecast with NowTV is that if you do not want the control device for the chromecast to be registered as a device, you must first put the NowTV app on your tablet or phone into cast mode before you play any content. This will prevent your phone or tablet from being registered as a device and only the chromecast will be registered.

If you do not put the app into cast mode before playing content then your tablet or phone will be registered as a device and when you cast to the chromecast a second device slot will be used

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.