cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast as a device - you must be joking me!

Just bought a chromecast and I think you know what is coming up... Unbelievably, Sky Now regard the chromecast as one of my devices. What the hell is that about? Sorry Now, but that is crazy. I've just had to go through some stupid device reset on the live chat, and now have one fewer device. I was thinking of buying Chromecasts for all my televisions. If i do buy another single Chromecast, it's goodbye Now TV. I know I can use any device with NowTV app installed as a casting remote, but that is not the point at all as I regularly watch it away from home on my mobile device. Maybe if you offered a more reasonable number of devices on the system it would be barely acceptable, just like netflix does, but to have it as one of your four devices is insane. This is not what the cc was designed for. I can't watch content on the cc, I can't find the screen! I think this policy really needs a very urgent rethink. I also sub to netflix, and there is none of this four device restriction BS. Maybe they are more deserving of my money solely.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

If you use the iPad to watch NOW TV on as well as casting to your Chromecast then both will be added as devices.

If you only want to use the iPad to cast then it won't be added as a device. The trick is to make sure you press the cast button before choosing what content you want to send, that way the iPad doesn't get added as a device. If you start playing the content first before pressing the cast button your iPad will be counted as a device.

If you didn't mean to do this you can go to your My Account > Manage devices page and delete the iPad from your list

http://account.nowtv.com/device-management

If you've already used up your change for the month you'll need to wait until next month, or you could have a word with Live Chat, explain what's happened and see if they can sort something out for you as a courtesy.

To reach live chat go to the following help page
http://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/Managing-Devices
and click the Start Live Chat button.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User you use the normal NOW TV app and make sure that you press cast before playing. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks I'll try a live chat.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just rejoined Now TV through a chrome cast offer. My limit was only one device, I didn't know about the Chrome Cast being counted as one device. I used my phone to play the video then streamed it through Chrome cast. That's when the whole thing stopped and kicked me out of Chrome cast. The message was that I had used my one designated device, my android phone. I realised that I have to connect the nowtv first to the Chrome cast before playing the movie. There is no more live chat to resolve this issue. I find this quite upsetting to watch big movies on a small screen. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User you can have 4 devices on your account, so both your mobile and Chromecast will be fine, the problem is that as a returning customer you've reached the one new device each month limit.

You can reach Live Chat via this faq http://help.nowtv.com/article/Managing-Devices
at the bottom will be a Contact Us button, from here Live Chat should be available (hours are 8am-midnight).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm quitting NowTV at the end of the month due to this chromecast limitation. I've already allowed the movies pass to expire the tv pass express shortly. I'll stick to Netflix which has none of these issues. It's really odd that now tv claim that the issue is contractual when Netflix and Amazon show sine of the same content without the same limitations. I think it's a lie. It's really just a way to ensure that sky maximise profits. Then customer satisfaction has never been a concern for sky...
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Couldn't agree more. Two chromecasts one for each tv. Can only use my phone and iPad with NowTv. Wife can't use her phone for NowTv. Can't use chromecast without another device so we only have two devices we can use. No app to use on the one smart tv we have. Very restrictive and annoying! Probably going to have to go back to Netflix when I prefer NowTv!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User the Chromecast can be controlled by any device including your wife's phone. The limit is no different from having two NOW TV boxes connected to the TV instead of the Chromecast.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Quite simple, cancel.

That is what i have just done. Chromecast as a device, whilst not allowing entertainment on bt tv, is quite franklly taking the P155.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi I have just signed up to now tv 3 month movie deal. I understand that it adds a chromecast as a device (don't agree with it) . But can anybody explain why when I started casting to my daughters bedroom tv my other daughter could not cast now tv to her TV as it said it had gone over its device limit. I thought if it was casting from an IPad only the chromecast would would be active allowing me to cast to my other daughters TV.
So when casting does it use up both IPad and chromecast as a device?
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

If you use the iPad to watch NOW TV on as well as casting to your Chromecast then both will be added as devices.

If you only want to use the iPad to cast then it won't be added as a device. The trick is to make sure you press the cast button before choosing what content you want to send, that way the iPad doesn't get added as a device. If you start playing the content first before pressing the cast button your iPad will be counted as a device.

If you didn't mean to do this you can go to your My Account > Manage devices page and delete the iPad from your list

http://account.nowtv.com/device-management

If you've already used up your change for the month you'll need to wait until next month, or you could have a word with Live Chat, explain what's happened and see if they can sort something out for you as a courtesy.

To reach live chat go to the following help page
http://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/Managing-Devices
and click the Start Live Chat button.