cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast and NOW TV not working together

My NOW TV on both my phone and ipad keeps coming up with the same error message that say wait a minute or go to nowtv.com/status.  

I have deleted chromcast and now tv on both devices and reinstated after rebooting the ophone and pad but still nothing.

48 REPLIES 48
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The NowTV iPad app has suddenly stopped working with my Chromecast. It was fine until 2 days ago, and now suddenly it doesn't work at all. I get the message "Please re-connect Chromecast. Try restarting and running the app again." I have done that multiple times; I have uninstalled and reinstalled NowTV; I've installed all possible app & system updates on my TV and my iPad; and nothing works. I know this is not a problem with Chromecast, as it's working just fine with my other iPad apps. Please advise. (My NowTV subscription is about to expire, and given this poor functionality, I'm considering whether it's worth renewing.)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have exactly the same problem on Samsung tablet. Fine until 2 days ago now message tells me to recast  - or just hangs. Chromecast fine on iplayer etc. I suspected Smasung upgrade but won't work on the ipad either. have been very pleased with Now but will cancel (netflix is OK) if I cant get this sorted.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did find a solution actually - I went to the app settings on my tv and uninstalled all updates for Chromecast. Then it worked again with NowTV. I've had to do the uninstall repeatedly, since it auto-updates every so often, but so far it is a workable solution, however inadequate. It's surprising to me how little NowTV seems to invest in their technology, given that the product relies so heavily on it.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi I'm getting the message somethings not right give a moment or checknowtc.com/status for updates (0).  I'm in Spain using an iPad to stream to chrome cast on a Movistar router

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi I'm getting the message somethings not right give a moment or checknowtc.com/status for updates (0). I'm in Spain using an iPad to stream to chrome cast on a Movistar router

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv is for use in the uk only

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum @Anonymous User,

To follow on from what GaryL has already mentioned, perhaps the following 'Help Centre' article may be of use to you: Can I watch NOW TV abroad?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Frustratingly, this doesn't work on my set-up either.  I have a brand new Sony KD-49XE9005 TV, running Android 7, with the latest Google Cast app, and I can cast YouTube etc to it just fine - but the NowTV App running on my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (Android 7) fails to make it cast correctly.  It connects fine, but then refuses to actually play anything, simply spinning the dots round on the TV screen and eventually timing out.

This is clearly a NowTV problem to do with licenses and user checking as everything else works.

Please, NowTV, can you sort this out?

(And yes I've tried uninstalling Google Cast updates to the App, disabling Smart features on the Home Hub, making sure all devices are on the same WiFi, etc.  Everything else casts fine to it, just NowTV doesn't.)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It seems I've answered my own question...  I checked in my account and it turned out I already had 4 devices active as I'd accidentally activated my phone while testing.  I removed an old Chromecast dongle from the device list, then went back into the NowTV app on my phone, cast to the TV... and it worked!

So, NowTV: please can you make it say something like "Unable to get licence to play stream - deactivate another device in My Account before trying to use this device" or something similar.  It does make life so much easier when it tells you why it just fails to load 🙂

Hope this helps,

Richard