cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast Ultra not working

Anyone using a Chromecast ultra? Mine starts attempts to start, I see the show name on the TV then I get an unable to play error in my Android app.

Working fine on the original Chromecast.
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I open the app, then select the cast option the Now TV splash screen apperas on the TV and "Ready to cast". Navigate to a show and select play, receive an "Unknown error" on the application. Also reproducable on an iphone however the iphone error is "something is not right".   I have confirmed my device is listed in my account, and it is (confirmed by my previous attempts and the timestamp).

You get a very specific error when you try to cast to a device not on your list, this is not what's happening here. 

I've been a NOW TV user for years and this is my fourth chromecast so I am very familiar with how this should work. The other three older models work fine. I have factory reset my chromecast, tried it on ethernet, 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi. The chromecast works fine with youtube (4K) and BT sport apps. 

I was granted a device remove from NOW TV support, so I could remove it and add it back, this did not help either. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

After four attempts to communicate this to Now TV support (there is only so many times you can factory default a device before you begin to crack), I'm throwing in the towel and returning this to Google. I was promised an email from Now TV support, as my issue was escalated to engineering, nothing. 

Original Chromecast back in the TV and working fine. 

@4268 I appreciate your help. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey @Anonymous User

We got a hold of a Chromecast Ultra in the office yesterday, we unboxed it, connected it to the TV,  set it up on the phone (was an Android we used), the Chromecast did an update, we then launched the NOW TV App, connected to this Chromecast 1st and it casted without any issues.

There isn't really much troubleshooting we can recommend for Chromecast if i'm honest, it should be plug and play so I am at a loss as to what to recommend for you and you are an experienced user with Chromecast anyways so you have probably tried everything.

Sorry I can't be much more help to you.

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you tell me what software version you are running on the chromecast, so I can check I am running the same version?

I've had it turned off since I first reported this so maye there is an update I don't yet have.

Thanks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The developers took it back off us @Anonymous User.

I will try and get a hold of it again and let you know, it might be tomorrow however.

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Some bad news

The few Ultra's that we have in the office have now been put into developer mode so the software version that is on them is a developer build.

Can you try leaving your Ultra plugged in overnight or see if there is a way to check for updates via the Google App ?

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I will try that and get back to you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Plugged the Chromecast back in, it took and update and it working now. Thanks everyone.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Brilliant news @Anonymous User, Glad your up and running 🙂