cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast Ultra not working

Anyone using a Chromecast ultra? Mine starts attempts to start, I see the show name on the TV then I get an unable to play error in my Android app.

Working fine on the original Chromecast.
18 REPLIES 18
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User have you tried casting first then playing?
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can't do that as I am at the four device limit after adding the Ultra.
Legend 5
Legend 5

Eh? You just said that you have the Chromecast. You can use any android to work it. Log into app, click cast then select program to play. That way the android doesn't count as a device. I know it works as I have for my devices Moto E, smart box, Chromecast, LG. I can control my Chromecast with my Huawei phone by casting first.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

I have no doubt I can mirror cast my android phone to my TV, but that's not very useful when I need to take a call or receive a text as I often get called by work and want the show to continue for others. It's also tough on the battery and the phone would likely need to be in a charger. So unfortunately that is not a solution for me, I need the chromecast button within the NOW TV application to work as it does on the original chromcast. 

Legend 5
Legend 5

I am not talking about mirror casting. Why can't you just open the app. Press the cast button. Play content?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I cannot playback content on my android phone because it's not a registered device and as I said earlier I am at my maximum number of devices (four) after adding the latest chromecast ultra.

If I play first before casting I get "the maximum number of devices has been reached error". Which is exactly what I would expect. I cannot make any further changes to my devices list until December 1st according to my account page. 

Legend 5
Legend 5

You don't need it to be a registered device. You just need the app. You can log into the app but NOT play content without it counting as a device. If once you are in you click the cast button it will communicate with your Chromecast. THEN choose the program.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's exactly what I am doing from the andriod app. 

Legend 5
Legend 5

Are you selecting the program first? Cos you should not be.