cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can youview record BT sports and NowTV Sports? + other questions

Thinking of getting a DTR-T4000  youview box and also a an aerial put up as i do not have one currently.

I have a few questions about Youview which i am struggling to find the answer to, would be appreciated if anyone can help please?

1. Can you record BT sports and pause it?
  2. Can you record NowTV sports?
  3. Can you record any of the NowTV live channels?

I am on Virgin broadband do i need to be on BT broadband to get any functionality?

If there is a better box than the DTR-T4000 anyone recommends? Wondering if i need this box as i do not have 4k TV but might have in the future , what exactly is broadcast on 4k with it?

Thanks for any help! 

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

From my understanding to have any recording functionality with Now TV, you will need to have a YouView box and a BT TV subscription purchasing the passes directly from BT. 

Otherwise its use the app as normal. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for getting back to me , can you pause the nowtv and bt sports in the app versions do you now?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

So if you have a Now TV Stick or box, then yes you can pause Live TV. Any other device its only on demand where you can pause anything. 

As for BT Sport, I have not used the pause feature on app via my Samsung TV. So I am not able to comment.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

A nice new feature recently added to my BT Youview DTR-T4000 box is the option under the box picture and sound Settings to enable HDMI Frame matching when using Apps such has Amazon Prime Video etc 😁😁.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Just tested out Frame Rate Matching on the Netflix App and content is fixed at 50hz (surprise surprise like all my other auto frame rate devices I own).

Only Amazon Prime Video works with frame rate matching on the box for 24 and 60hz native content on Prime Video.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thinking of getting a DTR-T4000  youview box and also an aerial put up as i do not have one currently.

I have a few questions about Youview which i am struggling to find the answer to, would be appreciated if anyone can help please?

1. Can you record BT sports and pause it?
  2. Can you record NowTV sports?
  3. Can you record any of the NowTV live channels?

All these things require you to have BT Broadband and additionally to subscribe to BT TV, and further, to obtain and pay for your Now memberships directly through BT.

if you do this, BT will supply you with a BT Pro box for the duration of your subscription, so pointless buying any YouView box in advance if you go this route.

The BT Pro box is the very latest YouView box, smaller and faster than a T4000, which can make more simultaneous recordings, can use WiFi as an alternative to its fixed Ethernet connection, which the T4000 cannot, and can bring you (many of) the Freeview channels over the internet, as an alternative to its aerial connection,

I am on Virgin broadband do i need to be on BT broadband to get any functionality?

You cannot get any of the functionality described above without all the subscribing described above.

However, buying a T4000 or a Pro box and using it on Virgin will bring you all the Freeview channels, though only if you install an aerial, and will give you the Now app, on which you can buy memberships from Now, and use live and catchup as you can with the Now app on any other device. But no recording, limited or no pause/rewind, and the Now app on the YouView box does not offer subtitles.

If there is a better box than the DTR-T4000 anyone recommends?

The Pro box is better, or will be when it gets over its current teething problems. But there are some floating around the same grey market sources on which T4000s can be found, and whenever there are updates to the software you will get these automatically, even though you aren’t subscribed to BT.

Wondering if i need this box as i do not have 4k TV but might have in the future , what exactly is broadcast on 4k with it?

The T4000 is faster than all earlier boxes, and it will perfectly well support an HD TV until you get a 4K TV. Pretty soon there won’t be anything but, especially in the larger sizes, so it’s wise to go for the future-proofing.

There is nothing broadcast in 4K at the moment, and probably never will be on terrestrial TV.

However, it supports 4K versions of apps like Netflix, Prime, etc., and will play the 4K content on BBC iPlayer, including live sporting events like Wimbledon, if you don’t mind a few seconds’ lag.

Thanks for any help! 

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.