cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanB
Scholar

Boost Advert Free

Having spent last half hour on chat with Now and getting nowhere so I'll try asking here. I subscribe to Now Sports and Boost. I was just watching the Japanese GP FP1 which is a replay so I would not have expected adverts but I saw a normal batch of 3-4 minutes. I have the Now app on my ethernet connected Sony 4k Smart TV and am running Now Brilliant Broadband and speed checker shows 48.4mb/sec download

I saw stream speed of 7949 when I pressed the ok button.

I was unable to get Now chat to confirm that am definitely seeing HD and what is classed as on demand. They say you should see "promotional trailers" - as I said I just saw normal raft of adverts

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @IanB 

A figure of around 7800 to 8000 means you are getting HD Boost at 1080p.

Pressing the red button on your remote only brings up the search and now and next TV Guide.

From your NOW App home screen navigate down to the first tile box which says something like "view all Sports" (not live Sports) then click Ok / enter on it and another screen page will open and scroll down until you see the F1 dedicated on Demand tile box to click on.

Personally I don't watch NOW on Demand Sports if I can avoid it because the frame rate is only 25fps and the majority of the content is 720p which when pressing the info button on your remote will bring a streaming figure up around 4800 (even with NOW Boost).

NOW on Demand can also take over 24 hours to be added to their service after the live Sports event has finished.

Where I can I try to watch the Sports event live or see if it's on a repeat rerun on one of the Sky live linear TV Sports channels.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @IanB 

Watching live TV channels on NOW (including Sports) will have advert breaks even with NOW Boost.

It's the same on Sky Satellite.

When the live F1 race is held on Sunday you will not be interrupted with adverts when the race is taken place.

Repeat broadcasts or highlights of the race will have advert breaks when watching through the live Sky Sports F1 channel.

IanB
Scholar

Yes correct but isn't it classed as "on-demand" given this is a replay of the live program that went out in the early hours of this morning. According to Now if it's on-demand you should only see promotional trailers rather than adverts

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@IanB 

Boost can take up to 4 hours to become active on your account. Unless you log out and back in. 

Regardless of it being a replay or not if its on the Live streams you will get the standard adverts. You need to watch On-demand content for no adverts with boost.

Unless you are watching via on demand and you have just bought boost, then log out and back in should then kick your account into sync for no ads.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

If you've added Boost via our website, your account could take up to 4 hours to reflect the fact that you've added it. To get around this, you can trigger your account to update by signing out of the NOW app and signing back in again.

If you added Boost via your Smart Stick, Box, smart TV, PlayStation or Xbox, your account will update straight away and you won't need to do anything.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @IanB 

The Japanese F1 Practice session 1 is not yet added to the NOW on Demand F1 service yet from what I can see.

Where if you was watching via the live Sky Sports F1 channel then a repeat broadcast will have advert breaks in it (this has been the case from Sky since the birth of Sky Satellite when watching their live channels).

IanB
Scholar

Thanks guys - I appreciate your help, so excuse my lack of understanding but where do you see on-demand on the Now app?

I simply fire up the app, press the red button to get TV guide and go to the Sports section to view the F1

Also, since they were unable to confirm what does a stream speed of 7959 mean? - they say you need 12mb/sec to get Boost but I am running Now Brilliant Broadband and the TV is wired ethernet - speed checked shows 40mb/sec so it should be fine

(I've subscribed to Boost for over a year  and they confirm it active)

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@IanB 

Your watching Live streams of the race, which means you will get adverts. 

Replay or not it is being "shown" on the live channels which comes with adverts. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @IanB 

A figure of around 7800 to 8000 means you are getting HD Boost at 1080p.

Pressing the red button on your remote only brings up the search and now and next TV Guide.

From your NOW App home screen navigate down to the first tile box which says something like "view all Sports" (not live Sports) then click Ok / enter on it and another screen page will open and scroll down until you see the F1 dedicated on Demand tile box to click on.

Personally I don't watch NOW on Demand Sports if I can avoid it because the frame rate is only 25fps and the majority of the content is 720p which when pressing the info button on your remote will bring a streaming figure up around 4800 (even with NOW Boost).

NOW on Demand can also take over 24 hours to be added to their service after the live Sports event has finished.

Where I can I try to watch the Sports event live or see if it's on a repeat rerun on one of the Sky live linear TV Sports channels.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @IanB 

Looking at the Sky TV Guide you was watching a rerun repeat broadcast of the Japanese F1 1st Practice season which was on live Sky Sports TV.

Unfortunately repeat reruns over the live TV channels have advert breaks.

This is not classed has NOW on Demand Sports when viewing a repeat rerun of a Sports event through their live linear TV streaming channels.

See this screenshot below on what is currently available on the NOW F1 on Demand service.

Screenshot_20221007-121642_NOW.jpg

IanB
Scholar

Perfect - thanks @schnapps - it all makes perfect sense and many thanks. How come you guys can answer so concisely and Now can't !