cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Best device to watch football

Hi Trying to find the best possible way to watch the football on skysports without locking myself into an 18 month sky contract.

I've tried to watch the game at the weekend on ATV - quality was very grainy and same goes with the Sony TV app. Have now TV not improved since I last used Now TV for my footie fix a fews back using the playstation which was annoyingly grainy and not very smooth on the eye.

Has anybody had success with a device that NOW TV plays nice with for a pleasing experience watching sports?

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Whilst watching NowTV live sports was that with a NowTV Boost Pass or Not ?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

No boost was not activated. Thought I read somewhere that boost doesn't make much difference for sports and ATV. Particularly heard that ATV and the NOWTV app are not a very good marriage.

Would boost be a good option for ATV (my preference) or is there a device where football with the boost activated makes it a good watch?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Boost makes a massive difference in my opinion if your device supports 50fps (see list below of Boost supported 50fps playback devices).

Please note Boost 50fps for live NowTV Sports is only available on six out of the eleven Sky Sports live channels.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device 

Maybe start a 7 day Boost trial if your ATV Box or Sony Android Smart TV is Boost 50fps supported to see if you notice an improvement with the picture quality ?

If you don't see any improvement to your eyes cancel the Boost trial straight away to prevent it auto renewing each month.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @schnapps @RMM71 

Where I thought my luck was out, it sounds it may be back in.

I bought ATV4K last week with the view to replace my skyQ, I watch mostly Netflix along with the odd Sky atlantic offering and felt getting ATV plus Now TV app I could still streamline all my viewing on one device. It was just the footie given me the biggest issue!

I'm assuming that with my TV spec off 4096x2160p(24, 50, 60Hz) 4K and HDR capable, it should deal with 50fps along with the ATV4K.

May have to purchase another game this weekend alongside the boost to see how that fairs before I make a final decision. Annoyingly I already have a skyports subscription on the Q so will be my second game I don't really need to pay for, but needs must I suppose!

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

Black Now TV stick/box is best for Now TV Sports with Boost - HD, 50fps and 30 minute pause/rewind

RMM71
Scholar 2

You will also need to make sure you download the new NowTV app that has just been released for Apple TV this week.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Assuming @Anonymous User has a Apple TV generation 4 or higher spec box ?

Otherwise the ATV gen 2 or 3 boxes doesn't support NowTV Boost.

Also forgot to mention if you do go ahead and start a 7 day free Boost trial via your online NowTV account, to trigger the Boost upgrade straightaway logout and back in again on the NowTV App on your playback device (otherwise the Boost Pass can take up to 4 hours before it kicks in).