cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

BT YouView

Can I watch entertainment on BT YouView. And also sky sports box office. Such as any special fights. And any F1 races Can I watch on BT You view box.
13 REPLIES 13
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

I cannot access NowTV on our Sony TV which uses BT MyView (no, it uses YouView).  This is very frustrating.  Has anyone else had this issue??

Everyone. But Sony, not YouView (sic) decide what apps go on these Sony Android TVs, and while YouView were allowed to bring the itv and All4 players to the platform, NowTV didn’t make it across.

And indeed, who would want the cut-down, Movies only, NowTV that YouView has to offer?

Go spend a (nett) £4.01 on a NowTV Stick, and don’t sweat it any further.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

1. @Anonymous User wrote:

From what I am reading in this forum, it would appear to me  that the Entertainment Pass is not available on my TV.  I find this strange that NOW is promoting and charging for something that cannot be accessed.  Before I cancel it I would appreciate hearing if this is so, or if I am just not aware of how to utilize the Pass.  The Cinema Pass is there, for the movies but the said 11 channels and box sets, I cannot find.  How can this be?

Would be grateful for info.

@Anonymous User  @Anonymous User  
  1. It was a complicated mess of permissions and rights from day 1 of YouView that led to the NowTV app only having Sky Movies, and not Entertainment or Sport.

As ever when the big boys spar, it’s the poor customer who gets punched in the face.

But it’s you who has chosen, out of all the devices that you could have watched NowTV on, to watch it on a YouView box, where you can only get Movies; it’s inconvenient its not there, sure, but NowTV have striven mightily to get NowTV running on as many devices as possible; and when that can’t cover a customer’s needs, offered the NowTV Stick - £19.99, with Entertainment passes worth up to £15.98 included.

So your barrier to entry, as you can’t use your YouView box, and if you really have nothing else you can watch it on, is £4.01. You can’t always get a pint for that.

The situation with YouView is being resolved at last, for some customers, we’re not quite sure who beyond BT TV subscribers, on a near future date we are also not sure of.

But you are far from being prevented from watching NowTV because of it; pop down to your nearest Curry’s or Argos, buy a NowTV Stick, and dig in,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

"But it’s you who has chosen, out of all the devices that you could have watched NowTV on, to watch it on a YouView box, where you can only get Movies; it’s inconvenient its not there, sure, but NowTV have striven mightily to get NowTV running on as many devices as possible; and when that can’t cover a customer’s needs, offered the NowTV Stick - £19.99, with Entertainment passes worth up to £15.98 included."

That's all well and good, but I just signed up for a movies + entertainment package and only discovered, after I'd paid for it, that I can only get movies. There was nothing in the T&Cs and nothing on the BT YouView app that warned me this would be the case*, but the 'no refunds' bit was very clear in the sign-up. Not only that but, while not clever enough to sort out a deal with BT or SONY, NOW TV are clever enough to make sure I can't mirror the entertainment stuff from my tablet to my TV. Having paid a year in advance I'm more than miffed. But, thanks to you guys, at least I know the only way to sort it is to buy a stick.

Grumbs

*Just noticed that the YouView thing is mention in the tiny grey text at the bottom of my receipt.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

True, alas. Though you could check if your TV is a Smart Samsung (2015 onwards) or LG model, as these have the NowTV app in their App Store, and you don’t need a Stick with these two makes.

We may also hope that Sky, BT and YouView (which despite BT’s efforts to make it sound like they invented YouView, and when that fails, that they have this different thing called BT TV, which they don’t, it’s just how they badge their YouView boxes) sort out their commercial differences, and you will be able to watch the full NowTV service on YouView boxes for a goodly portion of the year you have just bought.

There is no technical reason that you can’t, and I’ve seen it running, as it briefly leaked out prematurely a couple of weeks back, and was rapidly pulled again. (Remind you of anybody?)

But a Stick is a good thing to own, and even after YouView gets the full service, can enable you to watch NowTV on some other TV you may own. Even a non-Smart one, just as long as it has a spare HDMI In.