cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

BBC iPlayer failing to load on 4500SK black smartbox

Used to work OK but recently BBC iPlayer is bringing up its loading screen and timing out giving a failed to load try again later and refer to a BBC Help site.  Contacted Now TV who told me to do a factory reset which I did and after configuring the box iPlayer loaded fine.  Next day again back to failing to load.  Why is the iPlayer app installed v2.4 when Googleplay are doing v4.28?  Anyone got any ideas?  Have tried removing app and then adding it again.

3 REPLIES 3
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Used to work OK but recently BBC iPlayer is bringing up its loading screen and timing out giving a failed to load try again later and refer to a BBC Help site.  Contacted Now TV who told me to do a factory reset which I did and after configuring the box iPlayer loaded fine.  Next day again back to failing to load.  Why is the iPlayer app installed v2.4 when Googleplay are doing v4.28?  Anyone got any ideas?  Have tried removing app and then adding it again.

Hi @Anonymous User

It is often the case that different devices will use a slightly app version, so just because Google play is on 4.28. It does not mean that Roku/now TV devices are going to be on same version I shall have to doublecheck but I believe 2.4 is the correct version for your type of device.

With regard to fixing the problem. As you have already tried removing the app and re-adding it. Try these steps below

force a software update on the Now TV box/smart box This will make the box reinstall its software/firmware

To do this press the following combination of keys in fairly quick succession

Home (x5)

Fast Forward (x3)

Rewind (x2)

When you have done this after a second or two a secret menu will come up, select update software and select okay when the box prompts you.

I hope this helpsSmiley Happy

Edit

The current version of the iPlayer app for NowTV/Roku devices is version 2.4 build 80000026

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi commanda6. Followed your instructions..but, it didn't make any difference for me, I'm afraid. Just seems like some days iPlayer will work..but, mostly it won't. Thank you so much for your advice. It was worth a try.

chilli2
Elite

DWhch one of the "black smartbox's" do you have?

Does it have the red/yellow/white av output on the back (old Rok 2)?

if o then its an old model, I had one of those and it took ages for BBC ipayer to respond.

If you look around you may find a much more responsive Roku 2 ( new version) or ven Roku 3 avaialble on clearance, or get a Roku Express/stick + to replace what could be your out of date smartbox