cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Auth Error on Apple TV

My Apple TV is suddenly showing an error message “Auth Error Error authenticating your device!” I’ve noticed this mentioned previously in the forum but there wasn’t a resolution I could see. I’ve tried turning Apple TV on and off. I’ve also restarted it. The Netflix and the Prime Video apps are working as normal. Any ideas how I can solve this?

96 REPLIES 96
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the response. Can you say what the issue was and how was it fixed? And to what extent are you sure that it wouldn’t repeat on Monday next week when loads of people tune in again to watch the second episode? 

Thanks

Vijay

Anonymous User
Not applicable

What good is that if, by the time my wife and I are ready to watch GoT (dinner sorted, kids in bed etc) that a million or two people (expected viewers I might add) all log on at the same time, resulting in Apple TV users not able to do anything. So we can't watch it on our main TV and have to watch it on a laptop?

Coming 2 days after I get a letter saying prices had gone up more than 20% it stings a little to know that you simply haven't planned for the expected surge in demand of the service with the final season of GoT. Doesn't take a genius to work out that from around 8:30-9pm on Monday night there will be a spike in use.

Judging by previous entries on this forum, this problem has been ongoing for at least 2 years, and you haven't sorted it. You must know the cause by now, so do you know? If you do know, why hasn't it been fixed?

Will we get the problem next Monday or do we have to figure out some other way of watching GoT on our main TV that doesn't involve NowTV and/or Sky?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Couldn’t agree more with the previous poster, if the system can’t handle highly predictable surges in demand, I won’t be renewing. We had to huddle round an iPad for GoT last night... not very helpful but the only way to avoid workplace spoilers!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just been on a chat with Now TV. Apparently you can't have special characters (symbols) in your passwords. It has to be alphanumeric only otherwise the Apple TV (3rd Gen at least) can't log in. Hope this information is helpful to others that are stuck on the "We do not recognise either your username, or your password. Check your details and try again." screen.

I've requested that this information is added to the website.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hmmm. If Apple App really can’t handle symbols then the app code is about 5 years out of date and needs sorting as it’s definitely not secure.

Regardless, my NowTV on Apple has been working for the last 3 years, no problems, changed passwords half a dozen times, never a problem. Then 10 minutes before the busiest TV event of the last 5 years it stops working. 20 minutes after said ‘busiest TV event’ ends, it starts working again.

doesnt take a genius to work out that NowTV couldn’t deal with the load and just haven’t invested enough in their web server farm infrastructure.

despite hiking subscription by 20%.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello, I just subscribed to NowTV assuming that it will work on my Apple TV. But it doesn’t. I am getting the same error. Is there a fix for the problem? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I came across the same problem recently - mine is is Apple 3rd Gen. I searched the forum and it seemed to be an ongoing issue.  Having tried resetting the router without success I decided to do a full system reset.

Steps:

1. Use another device to remove the NowTV App from your Apple TV.

2. If not already done - reset your router.

3. Now do a full factory reset of your Apple TV.  Mine took about 20 mins and the software/firmware was updated even though I had "automatic updates" set in the Apple TV.

4. Re-connect to your wifi and follow usual setup procedure (do not add any VPN/DNS settings other than those automatically configured by your router).

5. Install the NOWTV App if it isn't showing (mine was already present on the home page).

When I did all this my NowTV App worked.  This is only day 1 so I will do an update to this post if the App fails to work in the near future.

Good Luck