cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Auth Error on Apple TV

My Apple TV is suddenly showing an error message “Auth Error Error authenticating your device!” I’ve noticed this mentioned previously in the forum but there wasn’t a resolution I could see. I’ve tried turning Apple TV on and off. I’ve also restarted it. The Netflix and the Prime Video apps are working as normal. Any ideas how I can solve this?

96 REPLIES 96
Sandey
Scholar

If you have an Apple TV Gen 3, unfortunately it’s no longer supported, only Gen 4 and above will work. If you have a Gen 4 you may need to install the new app from the App Store. 
Visit the link for more info: https://help.nowtv.com/article/movies-entertainment-sports-apple-tv

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Same here. In UK. Was fine until about half an hour ago.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

same issue, just got told on live chat the technical team is looking to resolve it so seems its a wider issue. I was told to await an email regarding it so hopefully it will get resolved before too long!

edit:

Mine is now back up and running

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all,

Were sorry to hear that you may be experiencing issues logging in and playing out or trying to access the NOW TV App on apple TV Devices followed by an error message: "Auth Error,  Error Authenticating your device" this maybe as a result of the latest Apple Firmware release (11.3)

Currently the issue is still being investigated, but in the meantime here is a workaround that will get you back up and running.

Firstly please go to My Account > Manage Devices > Delete current Apple TV Device slot then follow the steps below:

1. Restart Apple TV 

2. Launch NOW TV app - it will crash once 
3. Launch NOW TV app again 
4. DO NOT use the settings - Sign in to NOW TV - it will crash the app 
5. Select and play a piece of content 
6. NOW TV app will ask you to sign in to account 
7. Accept T&Cs 
8. Sign in as normal.

This should get you up and working until a permanent fix is in place

Happy Watching

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am a new customer and purchased a 3 month entertainment pass to get started, with the intention of watching Now TV on my Apple TV.

I have spoken to tech support on chat, but they didn't even seem to know there was a problem, until I pushed them to ask second line support.

I’ve now found these instructions, but they don’t work for me.  I am not getting an Auth Error, but just get ‘unable to sign in at this time’.

I have checked my username and password by signing-in on the web, but I am not getting anywhere - apart from frustrated.

Do you have any idea how soon you are likely to come up with a fix? Can I expect my pass to be extended (to cover the unusable days) once you do?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The first thing that i would check is that the 3 month entertainment voucher pass has been successfully applied to your nowtv account.

When you go to My Account > My Passes on here, does it show that you are on a 3 month free entertainment offer ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Should have added.

If your account shows the 3 month pass, then go to My Account > Account details on here and check the email address in your account corresponds with the username / email address you been attempting to sign into your Apple TV.

Also, try rebooting the ATV and then see if the NowTV App on the ATV let's you sign in.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did check that the pass was correctly applied and I can watch programmes on my iPad.

I have rebooted the Apple TV numerous times and, yes, I am using the same user credentials.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Not sure what else to think of, accept make sure that you are using your nowtv account sign in credentials on the ATV rather than your iTunes account details on the NowTV App.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/movies-entertainment-sports-apple-tv

Just signed out and back into my ATV Gen 3 box without no problems.

Hopefully, somebody on here will have the answer and come to your rescue.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am using the right account.  Shouldn’t be anything to do with iTunes in this case. Strangely, I keep getting auth errors on this forum so it’s most likely a provisioning error on my account.