cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

AppleTv 4 app - blank episode lists

Hi. There's a very annoying bug in the NowTv app on the new Apple TV. 

When you select a show, you're presented with the available episodes, season by season. You select an episode and watch it. When you finish watching it and press menu, to go back to the episode lists, often you are merely presented with a blank screen, instead of the episode list. So you have to press menu again. This takes you back out of the show, and you have to select it again to go back in, and then hunt through seasons and episodes again to watch the next episode. 

I've had this with the Blacklist, the Walking Dead... 

Never get get this problem with the built in channel on the Apple TV gen3. Please can you try to fix this? It really ruins the experience when watching box sets.

Thanks

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Came on here hoping to find a fix to this issue. I have been watching Grey's Anatomy on my old Apple TV 3 box and was hoping for the experience on my new Apple TV 4 to be just as seamless if not more so as devs have more free reign over tv apps with the newer box. Been onto customer service who told me to restart (yup that works for a short amount of time but then it comes back) and to update the OS, did that the moment I set it up. This is maddening having to go through ten seasons to get to where I was watching five minutes ago.

Shoddy app updates are a sure fire way to loose my custom. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Still not fixed 😞
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
Still not fixed 😞

@Anonymous User

Hi there unfortunately this is an issue with the Apple tv iself it does not have the option built in for us to click next episode or 'continue watching' this is something we have been made aware of recently .

Thanks the Nowtv Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I run an app development company and know that is not true.

You can easily make the screen not appear entirely black at the end of an episode. Does no one from your iOS team have an Apple TV?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is not the issue. The issue is that on the Apple TV4 App, when you get to towards the end of an episode of a show on Now TV and click Menu to go back to the episode list, the episode list is a grey screen, rather than a list of episodes - this has been reported to you by so many people.

Again, today, you've released an update for the phone app. It gets updated regularly to fix bugs. How on earth can you not update the TV App in almost two years? It's not been updated since launch. It even has the old green logo instead of the orange one - it's like NowTV simply doesn't care about its branding on this platform.

How on earth can it not be fixed by now? Subscription services owe it to their customers to provide functional apps on the platforms on which they make themselves avialable. Apple Stores advertise your product in their stores to push their product. it's not about adding functions. it's not about redesigning the app. It's just about making the functions you've provided in the app work as they should.

We're constantly told the issue has been reported, but nothing gets done. If your developers can't identify the problem, I would happily get on the phone with them to talk them through it. Please provide me with a phone number, and I'll happily give them a (very polite) call to clear this up. 

But the fact that you seem to be outright ignoring your duty to make this App work properly is, frankly, a disgrace.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I half wish NOW TV would just stop responding. On Twitter for 18 months plus, it’s been promising tvOS users that something was coming soon, but it couldn’t say when. And nothing happens. Then you get stuff like this:

“unfortunately this is an issue with the Apple tv iself”

Actually, no it isn’t. None of the problems with NOW TV’s Apple TV app are down to Apple, nor the hardware. They are directly and solely down to NOW TV deciding to retain a legacy app, and not bothering to port across its perfectly decent iOS one.

Basically, NOW TV took a least effort approach. Apple’s mistake was in allowing such apps to continue, rather than stating that the fourth-gen apps would all have to be new ones. So NOW TV should start being honest with its customers, rather than stringing them along.

“If your developers can't identify the problem”

This makes the assumption there are developers actively working on the Apple TV app. I think by now it’s pretty obvious it’s a dead app walking. Your choice as an Apple TV user is:

• Keep using the app until it fails
• Buy a NOW TV box and use that as well
• Vote with your feet and support services that support the hardware you use

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is still happening - May 2020...

nst
Elite

why is this a surprise to you, and requiring the resurrection of a random 2 year dormant thread.

Look around.. theres a lot of discussion on the AppleTV situation.

Inexcusable of NowTV to leave the AppleTV app in the state its in for 4.5 years.

However, a new version is already available in Ireland and Italy, and has been for some months.  The UK version is undergoing beta trials right now and should be released to the general public at some point.

It seems unreasonable to say 'be patient' as everyone has been forced to be more than patient for a long time... but a little longer and things should improve.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It’s not a surprise, as you put it. This was the most comprehensive thread I’d found concerning this issue and I’ve only recently acquired this Apple TV box. Thanks for the update about the lack of an update.