cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlexHedley
Scholar

Apple TV 4th Gen Feedback

I was wondering if there was any update on the Apple TV 4th Gen app.

 

It's been a number of months since I posted (‎12-04-2016 19:22😞

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Apple-TV/Apple-TV-4th-Gen-Feedback/m-p/409084#M2910

 

Feature Requests

  • Mark as Watched so I know where I'm up to in a series
  • Currently watching group - go to current episode of that series

 

I can understand making the first version of the app look like the Gen 3 version but given the unlimited control as to what you can make now with the 4th Gen it's strange new features haven't been added.

 

It was also worryed to see a post stating that it wasn't possible to implement features due to limitations in the platform, which was a complete lie. Netflix even managed some of the useful features like watched on the 3rd gen, so there is no excuse.

 

Granted development works goes into the most popular platform and I don't know the split but I'd guess the AppleTV doesn't get the most users but improving it would be a way to get people to use it.

 

Looking forward to a response,

 

Thanks

0 Thanks
Reply
16 Replies
dr_necessitor
Expert 3

Re: Apple TV 4th Gen Feedback


@AlexHedley wrote:

I can understand making the first version of the app look like the Gen 3 version but given the unlimited control as to what you can make now with the 4th Gen it's strange new features haven't been added.

 


@AlexHedley You may not be aware that the NOW TV app running on your Apple TV 4th Gen hardware is actually the NOW TV app for Apple TV that's been around for absolutely ages (since at least the Apple TV 2nd Gen actually!)

 

Just to be clear, NOW TV has not (yet?) released a version of the app that has been written specifically to take best advantage of the Apple TV 4th Gen hardware. And to date it has seemed ever increasingly unlikely that they will ever do so. But maybe one day they will...

0 Thanks
Reply
AlexHedley
Scholar

Re: Apple TV 4th Gen Feedback

I was under the impression ATV2/3 apps were written in a different language to 4, i.e. not TVML or tvOS.
I can't find a stack overflow post that mentioned the framework used in previous tvs.

Do you have a link to where this is stated it's the same app?

 

---

BackRow - http://nshipster.com/backrow/

0 Thanks
Reply
AlexHedley
Scholar

Re: Apple TV 4th Gen Feedback

0 Thanks
Reply
NOW TV Team Tony-D
NOW TV Team

Re: Apple TV 4th Gen Feedback


@AlexHedley wrote:

I was wondering if there was any update on the Apple TV 4th Gen app.

 

It's been a number of months since I posted (‎12-04-2016 19:22😞

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Apple-TV/Apple-TV-4th-Gen-Feedback/m-p/409084#M2910

 

Feature Requests

  • Mark as Watched so I know where I'm up to in a series
  • Currently watching group - go to current episode of that series

 

I can understand making the first version of the app look like the Gen 3 version but given the unlimited control as to what you can make now with the 4th Gen it's strange new features haven't been added.

 

It was also worryed to see a post stating that it wasn't possible to implement features due to limitations in the platform, which was a complete lie. Netflix even managed some of the useful features like watched on the 3rd gen, so there is no excuse.

 

Granted development works goes into the most popular platform and I don't know the split but I'd guess the AppleTV doesn't get the most users but improving it would be a way to get people to use it.

 

Looking forward to a response,

 

Thanks


Hi @AlexHedley 

 

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch via the forums again. I will pass your feedback onto our dev teams and try and push for an update  for you. We agree that our App should be taking advantage of current hardware instead of basing performance on older processors and memory limitations.

 

Thanks again,

 

Tony.

dr_necessitor
Expert 3

Re: Apple TV 4th Gen Feedback


@AlexHedley wrote:

I was under the impression ATV2/3 apps were written in a different language to 4, i.e. not TVML or tvOS.

Do you have a link to where this is stated it's the same app?

 

---

BackRow - http://nshipster.com/backrow/


That's correct, but apps written for ATV2/3 still seem to run on ATV4.

 

NOW TV have not (yet? will they ever?) produced an app written specifically for ATV4.

 

When you have got some spare time, browse through this board looking for posts by @moroboshi who is the longstanding expert and drumbanger on this issue.

0 Thanks
Reply
SamKirk
Scholar

Re: Apple TV 4th Gen Feedback

Thankyou Tony for the reply.  I sincerely hope the team can launch a new update soon to support Apple TV 4 and include a similar level of usability as the iOS versions.

0 Thanks
Reply
S-Express
Advocate

Re: Apple TV 4th Gen Feedback

It's quite embarrasing just how poor the app is when there is a prefectly reasonable IOS app that could be quickly ported to TVOS.  It reminds me of the situation with iPlayer where an individual was able to write an Apple TV proof of concept version of iPlayer in 9 hours called Auntie Player.

 

 

I'm sure it's not for a lack of skills in the app team,  and it's likely a case of justifying the work given the low number of ATV users.   Lets hope the situation changes soon.

0 Thanks
Reply
AaronG
Scholar

Re: Apple TV 4th Gen Feedback

@Tony-D Hopefully you can prove us wrong, but so far Sky/Nowtv have shown that they can not care less for the Apple TV platform...  its disappointing and frustrating to say the least. Would be fantastic to have the ability to say 'Siri find the latest episode of "x"' - and for the Now TV app to open with the relevant programme. Sadly I do not think this will ever happen; at least in my lifetime with the current 0 level commitment level to keeping applications up to date.

3e3e3e
Advocate

Re: Apple TV 4th Gen Feedback

I have just been asked to take part in the now tv trial for the beta version on samsung 2016 TVs. The app is good with a nice simple interface, it remembers all the programs you are currently watching and the progress in each one. It also has the My tv function. I would still rather watch through an updated Apple TV 4 app. as the samsung remote is too fiddly with poor button positioning. The Apple tvs video control over scrubbing alone is a great.
0 Thanks
Reply