cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Apple TV 4th Gen Feedback

I was wondering if there was any update on the Apple TV 4th Gen app.

It's been a number of months since I posted (‎12-04-2016 19:22😞

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Apple-TV/Apple-TV-4th-Gen-Feedback/m-p/409084#M2910

Feature Requests

• Mark as Watched so I know where I'm up to in a series
  • Currently watching group - go to current episode of that series

I can understand making the first version of the app look like the Gen 3 version but given the unlimited control as to what you can make now with the 4th Gen it's strange new features haven't been added.

It was also worryed to see a post stating that it wasn't possible to implement features due to limitations in the platform, which was a complete lie. Netflix even managed some of the useful features like watched on the 3rd gen, so there is no excuse.

Granted development works goes into the most popular platform and I don't know the split but I'd guess the AppleTV doesn't get the most users but improving it would be a way to get people to use it.

Looking forward to a response,

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

@Anonymous User wrote:

I can understand making the first version of the app look like the Gen 3 version but given the unlimited control as to what you can make now with the 4th Gen it's strange new features haven't been added.

@Anonymous User You may not be aware that the NOW TV app running on your Apple TV 4th Gen hardware is actually the NOW TV app for Apple TV that's been around for absolutely ages (since at least the Apple TV 2nd Gen actually!)

Just to be clear, NOW TV has not (yet?) released a version of the app that has been written specifically to take best advantage of the Apple TV 4th Gen hardware. And to date it has seemed ever increasingly unlikely that they will ever do so. But maybe one day they will...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was under the impression ATV2/3 apps were written in a different language to 4, i.e. not TVML or tvOS.
I can't find a stack overflow post that mentioned the framework used in previous tvs.

Do you have a link to where this is stated it's the same app?

---

BackRow - http://nshipster.com/backrow/

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Would it be possible to have an update on when this app will be developed using the new tvOS Framework?

There are many posts, a few from myself, asking for updates and the usual lines of it's being worked on or an update will be out soon but these are months/year(s) old.

Is it actively being worked on?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The 4th-gen Apple TV has been out 19 months. I think it's safe to say a new app is not coming and it's not being worked on. At best, you get vague promises lacking even the broadest timescale from support. I suspect the existing app will have to dodder along until it breaks entirely, at which point if NOW TV has any sense it will enable AirPlay from its iOS app (assuming it can do so contracturally).

Funny to see Amazon preparing to release an actual Apple TV app soon (better later than never), while NOW TV and, frankly, everything else in the UK basically languishes. It's weird – I would have thought Apple TV would be a great opportunity for channels. They seem to be treating it like something you'd scrape off of a shoe. Even the usually hugely impressive iPlayer is at best workmanlike on Apple TV, which a ton of UX problems.

@Anonymous User wrote:

I was under the impression ATV2/3 apps were written in a different language to 4, i.e. not TVML or tvOS.

Do you have a link to where this is stated it's the same app?

---

BackRow - http://nshipster.com/backrow/

That's correct, but apps written for ATV2/3 still seem to run on ATV4.

NOW TV have not (yet? will they ever?) produced an app written specifically for ATV4.

When you have got some spare time, browse through this board looking for posts by @Anonymous User who is the longstanding expert and drumbanger on this issue.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

I was wondering if there was any update on the Apple TV 4th Gen app.

It's been a number of months since I posted (‎12-04-2016 19:22😞

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Apple-TV/Apple-TV-4th-Gen-Feedback/m-p/409084#M2910

Feature Requests

• Mark as Watched so I know where I'm up to in a series
  • Currently watching group - go to current episode of that series

It was also worryed to see a post stating that it wasn't possible to implement features due to limitations in the platform, which was a complete lie. Netflix even managed some of the useful features like watched on the 3rd gen, so there is no excuse.

Granted development works goes into the most popular platform and I don't know the split but I'd guess the AppleTV doesn't get the most users but improving it would be a way to get people to use it.

Looking forward to a response,

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous User 

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch via the forums again. I will pass your feedback onto our dev teams and try and push for an update  for you. We agree that our App should be taking advantage of current hardware instead of basing performance on older processors and memory limitations.

Thanks again,

Tony.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thankyou Tony for the reply.  I sincerely hope the team can launch a new update soon to support Apple TV 4 and include a similar level of usability as the iOS versions.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's quite embarrasing just how poor the app is when there is a prefectly reasonable IOS app that could be quickly ported to TVOS.  It reminds me of the situation with iPlayer where an individual was able to write an Apple TV proof of concept version of iPlayer in 9 hours called Auntie Player.

I'm sure it's not for a lack of skills in the app team,  and it's likely a case of justifying the work given the low number of ATV users.   Lets hope the situation changes soon.