cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Apple TV 4K update

Hi there, I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’m considering getting rid of Sky Q and just having Apple TV. What I want to know is, does Now TV on Apple TV stream in 4K? Or what is the resolution of it. I don’t want to go and buy an Apple TV if it turns out that it’s more expensive than Sky when the quality isn’t as good. I’ll get the Now Tv 4K box if not...

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi there, I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’m considering getting rid of Sky Q and just having Apple TV. What I want to know is, does Now TV on Apple TV stream in 4K? Or what is the resolution of it. I don’t want to go and buy an Apple TV if it turns out that it’s more expensive than Sky when the quality isn’t as good. I’ll get the Now Tv 4K box if not...

Now tv streams in stunning 720p😂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

And that includes the NowTV 4K box. You will only ever get 720p on any NowTV device (there are strong rumours it will ramp up to 1080p sometime this year but nothing concrete).

The only way you get 4K from sky is with SKY Q, many devices will give you 4k Netflix and Amazon Prime (some will do HDR and Dolby Atmos but again this varies). Apple TV will give you 4K, HDR/DV and Dolby Atmos on Netflix, Amazon Prime and Itunes Movies. 

I think the NowTV 4K box will give you 4K Netflix but no amazon and no DV/Dolby Atmos (not sure about HDR).

You pay your money and take your choice.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are there any updates on this? I pay for the Entertainment Package but the Apple TV 4K quality is horrible.

How can I get 4K streaming with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Are there any updates on this? I pay for the Entertainment Package but the Apple TV 4K quality is horrible.

How can I get 4K streaming with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos?

You can’t unless you get sky q

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Even if NowTV eventually updates the UI on their NowTV App for ATV owners, don't expect 4K Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos sound anytime soon.

NowTV is miles behind it's streaming competitors where currently we only get 720p two channel Stereo Smiley Mad.

If we are lucky the next bump in PQ & SQ will be 1080p 5.1 DD surround sound, where Sky are keeping the 4K UHD service for Sky Q premium customers who pay the privilege to watch it.

Otherwise if 4K was on the NowTV service at a substantial cost saving then more Sky customers will jump ship and this will eat into Sky's profit margin.

Perhaps if NowTV had a higher price tier premium service (similar to Netflix) then maybe it might be a future possibility longer term further down the road (though personally i can't see this happening).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is why I don’t understand the delay in Sky without a dish.If they can supply Now Tv in 720p they can do 1080p & 4K as well it is simply Sky dragging there feet and assuming that NowTv customers are loyal to there service.Truthbe told if someone like Netflix supplied a Live channel selection along side there current content Now Tv would close tomorrow.Sky is a leader in Tv subscription in the UK and they have brought a lot of features to everyday Tv viewing that have been beneficial but there lack of support for Now Tv customers boarders on arrogance. We pay for a service the same as customers with a dish but we get half the service they get. Rant over

cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Even SKY Q doesn't do Dolby Vision (it doesn't have any HDR yet although it is suposedly on its way but even then we dont know if it will be just standard HDR and HLG or if Vision will be included) so don't expect NowTV to do any HDR for a very long time.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes. I've ordered the Apple TV 4k but only really to get Netflix with Dolby Atmos/Dolby vision. 

I have a shield tv(the best streaming box) but Netflix dont support Atmos/Vision on the box.

I've also got the now TV 4k box. A royal pain in the ass to get the enhanced features.

I've spoken to now TV with regards to 720p and also got a "it's on our roadmap" along with subtitles which is nothing short of a disgrace. Can count on one hand the number of entertainment programmes which offer subtitles.

Now TV really need to up their game!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Yes. I've ordered the Apple TV 4k but only really to get Netflix with Dolby Atmos/Dolby vision. 

I have a shield tv(the best streaming box) but Netflix dont support Atmos/Vision on the box.

I've also got the now TV 4k box. A royal pain in the ass to get the enhanced features.

I've spoken to now TV with regards to 720p and also got a "it's on our roadmap" along with subtitles which is nothing short of a disgrace. Can count on one hand the number of entertainment programmes which offer subtitles.

Now TV really need to up their game!!

Why get an Apple TV if you’ve got a Dolby vision enabled tv then why not use that and you should get Atmos through arc albeit not the lossless.