cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Amazon Firestick 4K + 5.1

I'm having a frustrating issue with the NowTV app on the Amazon Firestick 4K where is doesn't output 5.1 correctly most of the time. It does work sometimes, after I play around with some settings though.

Most annoying is that unless it is outputting the signal in Dolby Digital 5.1 it is out of sync, and it will tell me it's in Dolby Digital 2.0

I have a Sonos Beam in 5.1 connected to a Philips 4K tv and can confirm the Surround sounds is working fine on all other apps such as Netflix.

The 'solution' to get it working is to switch back and forth with stereo/5.1 option in the boost setting. Exiting the app, opening something on Netflix that does output 5.1 properly then going back to NowTV app and trying these steps again until it works.

There's no question that it's an issue with NowTV as everything else works and is in sync.

Anyone else experienced this?

4 REPLIES 4
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

As has been discussed at length in some other threads...

Issue seems to be that NowTV think its OK to label content as 5.1 and yet not actually deliver that.

Boost pass is all very well but on many occasions... especially on TV content (not movies) they are supposed to be 5.1 but actually are 2.0

This is more likely your issue here.

Whats the solution?  ask NowTV why they say things are in 5.1 when they aren't.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst thanks for the reply.

I started this thread this as all the other posts about 5.1 were to do with systems other than Amazon Firesticks.

Perhaps some shows are being labelled incorrectly, but the signal will sometimes work in 5.1 and be in sync.

An example is when I watched "Succession". I play an episode, it's out of sync and in DD 2.0. I goof about with the settings then it works correctly and in DD 5.1. It plays the next episode. Back to DD2.0

The fact that it's in DD 2.0 doesn't bother me as much as it causes the audio to be out of sync.

Yes fine, I can set my system to be stereo and it all works but where the fun in that?

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Point being.. this is a platform agnostic problem.

The issue is definitely NowTV  - don't ask me how or why as ive no idea.... all I can tell you is that people are finding that 5.1 labelled stuff comes out as 2.0 sometimes.

I have checked this over a number of different platforms for the same content... boost subscription intact.on all - and its the same.

Randomly.... where it should be 5.1 it isnt.

Of course this is a huge issue behind the scenes as we are paying in good faith for a 5.1 soundtrack and not getting it.

You might want to add to the people who are complaining to NowTV about this.  At best its a Trades Description issue.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah this is definitely a NowTV backend issue nothing to do with the platforms they were having a similar backend issue with 50FPS support last year where sometimes it wasn't working no reason was ever given or really commented on by NowTV.