cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mofman
Mentor

5.1 not working on Amazon Firestick

Hi,

I watch Prime, Netflix, Disney+ all through the Firestick and all are in 5.1 surround sound. I have paid for Boost for a month to watch NowTV but it's only in stereo. I've tried all the options in the System Menu under Audio, but nothing makes a difference. 

Any help as to why NowTV isn't in 5.1 but all the others streaming services are?

My firestick is connected to the Yamaha Surround Amp, via HDMI. I use a Philips 55" Ambilight TV

Thanks in advance. 

13 REPLIES 13
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Mofman 

Have you gone into the NOW App and under the My Account tile box (bottom grid row) and forced surround sound ?

I have a Fire Stick but it isn't connected to a 5.1 surround sound system so i can't  confirm or not if 5.1 is busted on the Fire Stick NOW App.

Also if you have only just added the Boost, then sign out and back in again on your Fire Stick (under the My Account tile box on the Fire Stick NOW App).

Mofman
Mentor

Yes I have the App set to 5.1 Sound. Although it's streaming from the firestick and not from the app.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Mofman 

Can't help much any further.

When i had my Onkyo AV Receiver hooked up over HDMI to my 4K Philips Android TV (using a Roku Stick) i had to go into the Philips TV General Settings under HDMI Ultra HD and forced it to Standard rather than Optimal to get 5.1 to trigger on my Onkyo AVR.

Not saying this would work in your particular case, but a worth try if you have a Philips 4K TV and using a non 4K Fire Stick.

Mofman
Mentor

Did you have your Roku plugged into the TV or the amp?

My firestick is plugged into the Video AUX (HDMI) socket on the Yamaha Amp.

I wonder if that is the issue? But all other streaming services I use, Prime, Netflix work okay in 5.1.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Mofman daft question, how do you pay for Now? It's it through BT? I know last year there was a problem with Boost when it was part of the BT bolt on.

Mofman
Mentor

No, paid on credit card.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Mofman 

The Roku was plugged directly into the Onkyo AVR and a HDMI cable between the Philips TV and Onkyo AVR.

Thinking back i also had to go into the Philips TV Sound menu settings and made an adjustment there also to force 5.1 to show on my AVR.

Out of curiosity which Amazon Fire Stick model do you have ?

Mofman
Mentor

So my connection is the same as yours was.

Fire TV Stick Lite

Software version Fire OS 7.2.7.9

Another thing that I can't get to work is the Chromecast. Can connect to the TV but as soon as you try to play a movie I get a message saying...

Viewing Stopped

Something's gone wrong. If the

problem persists, contact

Online Support Team.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Mofman 

Inbuilt Chromecast on Android Smart TV's was never officially supported by NOW.

Since a firmware / software update on my Philips Android TV a few months back i could only cast successfully using NOW live streams only.

Where when i tried NOW on Demand content it would attempt to stream and then lock up.

I didn't get any error message, but to be honest i haven't checked in about three to four months, where i don't cast to my Philips TV.