cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mofman
Mentor

5.1 not working on Amazon Firestick

Hi,

I watch Prime, Netflix, Disney+ all through the Firestick and all are in 5.1 surround sound. I have paid for Boost for a month to watch NowTV but it's only in stereo. I've tried all the options in the System Menu under Audio, but nothing makes a difference. 

Any help as to why NowTV isn't in 5.1 but all the others streaming services are?

My firestick is connected to the Yamaha Surround Amp, via HDMI. I use a Philips 55" Ambilight TV

Thanks in advance. 

13 REPLIES 13
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Mofman 

From memory when i temporary tested a Roku Express on my Onkyo AVR / Philips Android Smart TV over HDMI to force 5.1 on the NOW App when using Boost on my setup, i went into the TV Sound Advanced Settings and under Audio / Digital had to select both HDMI sound system plus either Multichannel or Multichannel (bypass) if you have ARC both ends.

I also had to either switch on or off Easylink and Easylink Remote.

Unfortunately i can't test my Amazon 4K Fire Stick, because both my Onkyo & Pioneer AVR's are in safe storage and have no access to a 5.1 surround system at the moment.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @Mofman 

Have you gone into the NOW App and under the My Account tile box (bottom grid row) and forced surround sound ?

I have a Fire Stick but it isn't connected to a 5.1 surround sound system so i can't  confirm or not if 5.1 is busted on the Fire Stick NOW App.

Also if you have only just added the Boost, then sign out and back in again on your Fire Stick (under the My Account tile box on the Fire Stick NOW App).

@schnapps is correct @Mofman  5.1 audio needs to be enabled from the account section of the Now app on your fire device. You will need to do this when using the Now app on any large screen device with the exception of Now player application on PC and AppleTv which doesn't support 5.1 audio.

The option for 5.1 will only be available if you have boost. If you don't see the option and you have boost sign out and sign back in again. Rebooting (not factory reset) your fire device will probably have the same effect and is probably easier.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Mofman 

To follow up from @commanda6 and @schnapps 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-adjust-audio-settings

The steps below are for the Amazon Fire TV Stick. For other Amazon devices the instructions may vary slightly depending on the exact device and OS, but will be similar to this.

To select surround sound:

• Step 1: In the NOW app, go to My Account and Settings and ensure that Surround sound is selected.
  • Step 2: On your Amazon Fire TV Stick, go to Settings, then Display & Sound and Audio and ensure that this is set to Dolby Digital over HDMI for the Fire TV Stick orAlways Dolby Digital for the Fire TV Stick 4K.
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Mofman
Mentor

Thanks. I've selected  5.1 in the App, but the settings on the firestick don't have the option for Dolby Digital over HDMI, however, I've tried all three options that are available and none work.