cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

4k streaming on NowTv

Hi, I just read the news that NowTV launched a new smart box 4K, my question is when the content (movies and tv series) will be starting streaming in 4K and if it will be available only trough the new 4k smart box or as well on my LG smart tv or Apple 4K tv?

• LG
19 REPLIES 19
crashcris
Scholar

Does anybody know definitively if the BBC 4k iplayer app is compatible with this new box, has anybody watched the Dynasties series in 4k on this box yet? Many thanks.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @crashcris

Both my NowTV 4K smart box and my Roku Stick Plus both seems to play the Dynasties series in UHD to my eyes.

The Roku Streaming Stick Plus is shown on the BBC iPlayer UHD compatible products website list (together with my television), but i couldn't find the new NowTV 4K smart box on the list.

When playing the first episode both my NowTV 4K smart box and Roku Stick + when you either pause or hit the enter button the display tool bar in RHS bottom corner says UHD.

Also when inside the BBC iPlayer App navigating around the UI the Dynasties episodes thumb nails also show the UHD logo next to them on the 4K NowTV Smart Box & Roku Stick +.

Where my first generation NowTV Freeview smart box doesn't show the UHD logo either in the UI or when pressing the pause or OK button when watching the Dynasties episodes and the PQ looks a little softer.

I can't confirm the HDR / HLG side of things because my older Panasonic 4K UHD television is not HDR /HLG  compatible.

crashcris
Scholar

Brilliant! Many thanks for that very speedy reply. I've just ordered a box from currys in their Black Friday promotion. £24.99 with one month passes thrown it to boot. I couldn't not buy it really. Very much looking forward to playing with it. Many thanks again. Cris

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @crashcris

Just make sure you watch all the UHD episodes on the BBC iPlayer App by the 11th of December, where after that date the UHD episodes of the Dynasties TV series will be removed according to the info taken from the BBC iPlayer help centre.

Can I watch Dynasties in Ultra HD?

Yes, you can. If you have a compatible TV device, you'll be able to watch all episodes of Dynasties on demand in stunning Ultra HD (UHD) and High Dynamic Range (HDR).

Each episode will be available to watch in Ultra HD after the programme is shown on BBC One until Tuesday 11 December. After this date, only the HD and SD versions will be available on BBC iPlayer.

Simply head to the homepage or search "Dynasties". You'll need to make sure your video quality is set to Best Quality
crashcris
Scholar

Again Thanks for the info. I'm really glad you told me about the 11 Dec end date as I've got a Roku SS+ box and in the UHD Dynasties Icon of the Iplayer it states "Available for over a year".  I imagine, as you said, this refers to the HD recording only.  It's a little disappointing that the UHD isn't going to be kept for as long as the HD. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

on iplayer yes and lots of 4k stuff on you tube

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hi all,                                                                                                                                                                                      Can I Ask for help, it about zooming aspect setting in the 4k Netflix app in the new, now tv 4k box       Can you zoom a 4k or any other film in the Netflix app to full screen.

@Anonymous User, I have this year [2018] LG Super UHD and it has [vertical zoom], does your LG have                       vertical zoom, or as it was called cinema zoom, if it has can you zoom any other film streaming box or stick apart from sky now tv 720p box to full screen.

The reason i`m asking last year I tryed Neflix out but was unable to zoom to full screen,                           I tryed to zoom, all I got was [ this is not availible ] grayed out. I can zoom now tv 720p to full screen.     When I say full screen what I mean is vertical zoom                                                                          What the LGs vertical zoom does is just that, it takes the 21.9 film and lifts it verticaly with NO loss of the 21.9 film from both end, you end up viewing any film as if you were at the Pictures.                        Thanks bf.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can’t actually get Netflix to show 4K content at all 

my subscription is the 4K one as fine on other devices. YouTube plays 4K fine but not Netflix, anyone any ideas? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Left now tv as i was sick of the crap sound and picture quality they were offering.720p is a joke for what they charge per month.therse constant buffering and the picture quality drops.i switched to netflix and prime atleast with them they offer much better quality at 4k and atmos for the same price and prime even cheaper.come on sky the amount of money u make a year give your customers a better service.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Get apple tv mate, you will get into new world. they need more 10 years to get us 1080p. I feel sorry for them. they cant steal our money anymore. I paid tons to sky for years. But not anymore. They cant fool us with 720p anymore for sure. 

@Anonymous User wrote:

Left now tv as i was sick of the crap sound and picture quality they were offering.720p is a joke for what they charge per month.therse constant buffering and the picture quality drops.i switched to netflix and prime atleast with them they offer much better quality at 4k and atmos for the same price and prime even cheaper.come on sky the amount of money u make a year give your customers a better service.