cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

4k streaming on NowTv

Hi, I just read the news that NowTV launched a new smart box 4K, my question is when the content (movies and tv series) will be starting streaming in 4K and if it will be available only trough the new 4k smart box or as well on my LG smart tv or Apple 4K tv?

• LG
19 REPLIES 19
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Nowtv haven't yet got 1080p which is suppose to be coming to their streaming service by end of 2018.

I can't see 4K happening on NowTV content for a long time or if it would ever by available to be honest (might be a pipe dream).

I would be quite happy myself for 1080p (high bitrate) with 5.1 surround sound and 50fps playback when using a nowtv sports pass.

At the moment the only 4K stuff or Apps that are capable on their new 4K smart box is Netflix, YouTube and BBC iPlayer (where i am guessing your LG 4K smart TV & ATV 4K as already got these Apps anyway).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So are they launching a 4k smart box branded “NowTV Smart Box with 4K” and the only streaming service in 4K is Netflix (and other apps)?! That’s silly.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Yep no 4K on the new smart 4K box for the NowTV App, at the moment it's 720p, where it will be 1080p sometime in the next couple of months possibly end of 2018 or early 2019.

Perhaps the 4K smart box has been introduced into the market for future proofing if one day that nowtv does offer 4K on their nowtv service.

Who knows what plans NowTV / Sky have for this new smart box ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Well this sucks considering I just bought one, and I can’t take it back now. False advertisement 😞
Anonymous User
Not applicable

how are you managing without the freeview?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i know and whats the best part is theyve removed the freeview completly!! haha nice one

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It’s an absolute con.... I purchased one and the picture quality (720p) and the only audio option is stereo, what a joke! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

They didn't manage to do 1080p (high bitrate) with 5.1 surround sound and 50fps playback yet in last 3 years. now you are asking for 4k. It will never happen in next 3 years. they will stay 720p for next 2 years. fake promises will go 1080p by end 2018. it never happened its already mid 2019. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN TILL 2020. its shame but that's the truth. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

How can you state "that's the truth" when you don't know what's happening behind the scenes. 1080p will be with us BEFORE 2020 😀