cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will the Now TV app eventually work on pre-2015 TVs?

Will the Now TV app eventually work on pre-2015 TVs?  Mine was bought in 2013.  

56 REPLIES 56
Anonymous User
Not applicable

According to the help article @Anonymous User it will only be 2015 and 2016 models that are supported. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If I get a NOW TV box will I be able to watch NOW TV on my pre-2015 Samsung? I've been watching on my laptop but the dispplay is dark and not very staisfactory

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

You should be fine with your Samsung TV if the television is either HD Ready or Full 1080p with a spare HDMI port.

BTW - What is the model number of your Samsung TV ?

Would suggest picking up a black nowtv box bundled with either the 3 month entertainment or 2 month cinema voucher pass which Currys are currently selling for £15 (i would grab one quickly before the stocks dwindle or the prices go up). 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

TV is a UE40H6410SU and I reckon it has got an HDMI (I'll double check in the AM). Many thanks for your help

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

You should be fine with that Samsung model TV which has 4 no HDMI ports and just to let you know that my Dad has the Samsung UE40H6400 where his television works great with the standard nowtv black box.

Just make sure you snap up a new nowtv box with the bundled voucher quickly as possible, before the current line up disappears from the Retailers shelves or otherwise you will be paying more money with a shorter voucher duration pass in the box.

Currys / PC World are offering the best deal at the moment for £15 (not sure how long that offer will last thou).  

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Will the Now TV app eventually work on pre-2015 TVs?  Mine was bought in 2013.  

Hi @Anonymous User

Just to add to what @Anonymous User has said.

I think the issue here is that in 2015, starting with the 2015 models Samsung changed their smart TV OS. This means that NowTV would likely need a separate app in order to support older Samsung TV models, which means that support for older models is probably unlikely. In my household, we have a relatively new 2014 Samsung smart TV and that's not supported either. In fact, app support for it is slowly being withdrawn. Quite a few services which used to work on it now don't.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

@commanda6 So pleased that I opted not to buy a Smart TV when I last replaced a telly not that many years ago! At the time, I was all for a Smart TV, but in the end I didn't bite. It now seems to me that cheaper plug in devices, such as a Roku, are the way to go in order to get the range of services such as NOW TV, Amazon, Netflix etc.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@dr_necessitor wrote:

@commanda6 So pleased that I opted not to buy a Smart TV when I last replaced a telly not that many years ago! At the time, I was all for a Smart TV, but in the end I didn't bite. It now seems to me that cheaper plug in devices, such as a Roku, are the way to go in order to get the range of services such as NOW TV, Amazon, Netflix etc.

@dr_necessitor what you say is true in a lot of cases. However, I think it's clear from the past 12 months that a lot of TV manufacturers have now have now decided what OS they wish to stick with for their TVs because the OSs are changing any more support should get better overall.

For example, the TVs which LG are breaking out this year will be the third generation to use WebOS. I think the reason why LG gained quite a lot of ground is because they decide to stick with the particular OS quite early on. LG brought web us from Hewlett-Packard and because LG now own webOS they can concentrate a lot on its development.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

@commanda6 Good to know about LG's approach. I suppose what I complained of, which would appear to be in respect of other manufacturers, is the bane of the early adopter!