cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will the Now TV app eventually work on pre-2015 TVs?

Will the Now TV app eventually work on pre-2015 TVs?  Mine was bought in 2013.  

56 REPLIES 56
ukbobboy
Legend

@Scubj

Hi Scubj

I'm coming in late on this discussion but I hope I can hope to clarify a couple of things you have mentioned.

1) @SeeMoreDigital said, "....there's been major changes to their TV's operating systems and softwares too" and you replied, "technology marches on, but it is a shame that within less than 3 years they drop support".

Simply put, your lucky if a company like Samsung supports any of their smart TV OSes longer than 2 years because, more than likely, they buy in the OS for a specific model of smart TV from a third party company.  So when that run of model is no longer manufactured their interest in the model's OS, I presume, will also end.

After all, it will cost Samsung money to continually support an old "out of range" OS while it will not be bringing any money in.

Again, I would presume that most smart TV manufacturers would adopt the same business strategy and behave, more or less, the way Samsung does.

2) You also said, when explaining Samsung's reply to your query, "I guess it could be added by NOW TV?", meaning Now TV could adapt their smart TV app to run or your TV.

Well, I don't believe that any tech company develops applications for OSes that are no longer supported by their owners, that's why you will find that as your current apps are updated they will start to fail.

However, I cannot speak for Now TV and their future plans.

Finally, unless you are prepared to change your smart TV every 2 - 3 years, bearing in mind that most TVs last 5 -10 years, then you should expect the "smart" element to "give up the ghost" long before your TV's hardware does.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable
We have a pre 2015 Samsung smart TVs ( not sure exact model number yet, looking for receipt) will the app ever be available and is there a timeline for this?

The pinned post has a link to another article and says it should show model numbers available now and shortly but only shows the models available now
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Just so you know... Your TV's model number will be stated on the back of the TV. And might also be stated somewhere under one of its menu options (probably in areas such as: set-up or settings).

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi NowTv,

I have 3 Samsung Tv's in the house and followed progress on this for some time.

Initially, a little bit peeved to find NowTV as an app on TV was an exclusive for LG. Then annoyed that the exclusive deal was renewed.

Then out of the blue, the app became available on the smallest TV in the bedroom. Brill, the experience isn't that dissimilar to the boxes. It was also coming to 2017 model and it has! Now it's just the 2013 model I have, the one most used in the house (the highest spec model).

We live in a world that means we really don't want to set top boxes or ugly dishes on side of new house! I want a TV with only 1 cable the power, no ugly brick powerline adapters. With BT their encryption means you need powerline adapters, yet NowTV allows any room to be serviced by Wi-Fi so argument it's for content protection reasons is a mute point to me.

Any update on 2013 models, please?

Regards,

Victort 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Victort wrote: 

Any update on 2013 models, please?

Hi @Anonymous User,

I'm quite sure that NOW TV would like as many Samsung 'smart' TV's as possible to support their service. Unfortunately much of it will depend on Samsungs commitment to supporting their older televisions.

Sufficed to say, developing an new 'app' to run on a TV's operating system (OS) from 2013 is one thing. Supporting the 'app' for years to come on what is already 'an old OS', is quite another!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have two 2014 TVs. I'd really like nowtv to make an app for my 'obsolete' TVs. There must be a lot of 2014 TVs out there.

Come on nowtv!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

There's no dates to confirm at the moment for this but we may be looking into it in future.

Cheers,

Rob

NOW TV Team

Geluk
Expert 2

I clicked on the info link for Samsung TV app, which promised listing of compatible sets;

it doesn't contain such data in article 😞

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Samsung-TV/Watch-NOW-TV-on-select-Samsung-TVs/m-p/396030#U396030

Watch NOW TV on select Samsung TVs

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Geluk

According to http://help.nowtv.com/article/How-to-Get-NOW-TV-on-your-device it's available on 2015 models if there’s an L, JS or JU in the middle of the model number.

Geluk
Expert 2

Tks; no go for my 2015 model then 😞

UE55J6300AKXXU