NOW TV Team

Re: Sky Now Samsung TV app for older models

Hi there @Jeaniem75

I'm not too sure if I've understood your issue clearly so please correct me if I'm wrong here.

We have a NOW TV App that is available to download on select Samsung Smart TV's. Unfortunately your model isn't yet eligable but keep an eye out for those updates.

If you have purchased a NOW TV Box, you will be able to use that on your TV, even if it's not one of those selected models. As that only applies to the inbuild Smart TV app.

The NOW TV Box app is a seperate thing and should still work on your TV.

Sorry to hear that you've already returned the Box though, if you do get your hands on one again and have trouble getting it up and running, please let us know and we'll be happy to help!

Thanks,

Ryan
NOW TV Team

Occasional Poster

Just emailed Samsung as I have friends with lower spec TVs that can get the app. Annoying when you purchased the ue46f8000 which was the flagship model (performance and picture is still great) but can't get the app and have to rely on a box. Not so smart TV. 

Champion 1

Hi @Scubj,

Sufficed to say, Samsung have had a few 'flagship' models of TV since yours was launched back in mid 2013. And there's been major changes to their TV's operating systems and softwares too!

Hence the difficulty in supporting a wider range of Samsung televisions...

Cheers

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer just like you! •

NOW TV Box = Model no: Black box | Software: 7.5.3 Build: 4068-10 | NOW TV app: 3.10.49 • LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 32LN575V | Software: 04.28.14 | OS: NetCast •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.19.2 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

Occasional Poster

That they have and technology marches on, but it is a shame that within less than 3.years they drop support.... Funny though as a 5 year warranty if it goes wrong 

Occasional Poster

I heard from Samsung about the availability of the Now TV app they have commented as below:

In reference to your concern, we will be unable to confirm if this application will be available on your television model. Please be informed that Now TV app is a third party application and the application provider has the full authority to add or not to add their application to our Samsung products.

i guess it could be added by NOW TV?

Mentor 1

@Scubj

Hi Scubj

I'm coming in late on this discussion but I hope I can hope to clarify a couple of things you have mentioned.

1) @SeeMoreDigital said, "....there's been major changes to their TV's operating systems and softwares too" and you replied, "technology marches on, but it is a shame that within less than 3 years they drop support".

Simply put, your lucky if a company like Samsung supports any of their smart TV OSes longer than 2 years because, more than likely, they buy in the OS for a specific model of smart TV from a third party company.  So when that run of model is no longer manufactured their interest in the model's OS, I presume, will also end.

After all, it will cost Samsung money to continually support an old "out of range" OS while it will not be bringing any money in.

Again, I would presume that most smart TV manufacturers would adopt the same business strategy and behave, more or less, the way Samsung does.

2) You also said, when explaining Samsung's reply to your query, "I guess it could be added by NOW TV?", meaning Now TV could adapt their smart TV app to run or your TV.

Well, I don't believe that any tech company develops applications for OSes that are no longer supported by their owners, that's why you will find that as your current apps are updated they will start to fail.

However, I cannot speak for Now TV and their future plans.

Finally, unless you are prepared to change your smart TV every 2 - 3 years, bearing in mind that most TVs last 5 -10 years, then you should expect the "smart" element to "give up the ghost" long before your TV's hardware does.

UK Bob

First Poster

Hi NowTv,

I have 3 Samsung Tv's in the house and followed progress on this for some time.

Initially, a little bit peeved to find NowTV as an app on TV was an exclusive for LG. Then annoyed that the exclusive deal was renewed.

Then out of the blue, the app became available on the smallest TV in the bedroom. Brill, the experience isn't that dissimilar to the boxes. It was also coming to 2017 model and it has! Now it's just the 2013 model I have, the one most used in the house (the highest spec model).

We live in a world that means we really don't want to set top boxes or ugly dishes on side of new house! I want a TV with only 1 cable the power, no ugly brick powerline adapters. With BT their encryption means you need powerline adapters, yet NowTV allows any room to be serviced by Wi-Fi so argument it's for content protection reasons is a mute point to me.

Any update on 2013 models, please?

Regards,

Victort 

Highlighted
Champion 1

Victort wrote: 

Any update on 2013 models, please?

Hi @Victort,

I'm quite sure that NOW TV would like as many Samsung 'smart' TV's as possible to support their service. Unfortunately much of it will depend on Samsungs commitment to supporting their older televisions.

Sufficed to say, developing an new 'app' to run on a TV's operating system (OS) from 2013 is one thing. Supporting the 'app' for years to come on what is already 'an old OS', is quite another!

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer just like you! •

NOW TV Box = Model no: Black box | Software: 7.5.3 Build: 4068-10 | NOW TV app: 3.10.49 • LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 32LN575V | Software: 04.28.14 | OS: NetCast •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.19.2 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •