cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

When will Firmware Update to 7.2 released

Hi,

I have a brand new, bought yesterday, Now TV black Roku powered box. But it is running very old firmware and this limits the apps available for it compare to branded Roku boxes. 

My Now TV ox is running firware 7.0 released by Roku on 6th Oct 2015.

Since then Roku has released 7.1 on 5th April 2016, and 7.2 on 21 June 2016, but neither of these updates seem to available for Now TV.

Do you know when the device will be updated, or do I need to buy a Roku box?

Thanks,

Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

7.0 is correct for the Now TV box. The range of apps on the box is deliberately smaller than Roku due to the cut-price nature of the box and the need not to take away sales from the more expensive Roku models.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

7.0 is correct for the Now TV box. The range of apps on the box is deliberately smaller than Roku due to the cut-price nature of the box and the need not to take away sales from the more expensive Roku models.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy.

Appreciate Now TV want to control the apps to some degree, such as not allowing Netflix on. But that's not an excuse to leave it on old firmware which hold the device back and stops even apps they want on from not apperaing. 

Would be good to know the average delay from Roku boxes getting updates to when Now TV boxes receive the same updates. 

Thanks,

Ryan

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks Andy.

Appreciate Now TV want to control the apps to some degree, such as not allowing Netflix on. But that's not an excuse to leave it on old firmware which hold the device back and stops even apps they want on from not apperaing. 

Would be good to know the average delay from Roku boxes getting updates to when Now TV boxes receive the same updates. 

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi @Anonymous User

Once it gets to the point where the firmware needs to be updated. NowTV will update it past is anything to go by. NowTV hardware tends to be 6 to 12 months behind standard Roku boxes in terms of firmware. But at the moment everything seems to be working well. The old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind"

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
chilli2
Elite

The Now Tv box may lok like a Roku, but the softwre insode is somewhat stripped down, you may have better luck asking in the Now Tv box (black) forum)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andy

If OS 7.0 is the correct answer, then Now TV are asking the wrong question.

Without OS 7.2 or above Now TV customers can't use the pre-installed Red Bull TV app.

Red Bull TV who are currently streaming highlights of Dakar Rally 2017 and in a couple of weeks time will be live streaming WRC 2017.

As Roku have already moved on to OS 7.5 there seems little to stop Now TV from updating their streaming boxes to at least OS 7.2, which I understand would allow the pre-installed Red Bull TV app to operate correctly.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi CB

You said,"As Roku have already moved on to OS 7.5 there seems little to stop Now TV from updating their streaming boxes to at least OS 7.2....." Well not quite, it's likely that NowTV have an agreement that prohibits NowTV from using the latest, or close to the latest, Roku OS.

Remember, because Now TV cannot compete directly with Roku , i.e. non-compete agreement in place, it's highly likely that as long as both companies exist NowTV's OS will always be 6 - 12 months behind Roku's.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My point being that Now TV choose to pre-install the Red Bull TV app when they don't provide the firmware to run it.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Unfortunately C,

You've made another assumption which has no bases in fact when you said, "My point being that Now TV choose to pre-install the Red Bull TV app when they don't provide the firmware to run it." 

From the time an app is added to the Now TV's roster it is the apps owner's responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of that particular app. 

However, if an app is modified or updated beyond Now TV's OS ability run it then Now TV, based on other current apps and hardware considerations, may update their OS or in rare instances drop the app.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

ukbobboy

You really are trying hard to shut down a forum contributor.  You began your attempt at 01.50 hrs on a Saturday morning.   Very puzzling.