cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Using a mobile phone hotspot to watch roku

Hi all, has anyone had success using an iphone or similar as a wifi hotspot to warch nowtv via roku streaming stick?  I live on a boat and thereis often no wifi available other than my phone. Many thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. You should be able to set up your iPhone as a personal wifi hotspot by following these steps

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204023

which your Roku can then connect to. However you need to be aware that NOW TV use adaptive bitrate management when streaming, and the Roku will try to draw as much data as your connection allows to get the best picture possible, which will result in anything up to almost a couple of GB of data each hour if you have a good 3G/4G connection on your phone. Unless you have unlimited mobile data you're probably going to find this uses up your data allowance very quickly and could end up costing you a lot in data charges.

Unfortunately NOW TV doesn't have any options to reduce data usage or select 'mobile' data streams so other people in your situation have found tethering to a phone for NOW TV not to be a viable option.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

I am assuming by now your sorted? I too have the same issue but for a caravan   

Ive looked online and my own “ mifi by 3 “ seems to be the only option with unlimited data or Virgin Sim only unlimited data  

I’d be interested on how you solved the problem 

thanks