cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Roku 3 versus NowTV box

Is there anything on a Black or White NowTV box that is not available on a Roku 3 box ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User the NOW TV boxes have the Sky Sports News HQ app which allows anyone with a ents or movie pass, plus those who had a sports pass within the last month to watch the stream. This is the only thing that I'm aware of missing from the Rokus. 

The other way around there are hundreds of apps not available on a NOW TV box, but most you'd never install anyway. Popular ones are Netflix, Google Play, WWE and the Roku Media Player. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User lots isn't available on the now tv box that is avaliable via a roku 3 one of the most significant is that Netflix isn't on a now tv box
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

I've used RokuLT for nearly 3 years and HDMI Streaming Stick since Jan. Also have NowTV black box based on Roku3.

As has been said you can't get Netflix on NowTV box - it's heavily discounted at £14.99 to attract business.

There's no doubt that NowTV black box is more powerful than either of my Rokus. This is noticeable when running demand apps like Demand5

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User the NOW TV boxes have the Sky Sports News HQ app which allows anyone with a ents or movie pass, plus those who had a sports pass within the last month to watch the stream. This is the only thing that I'm aware of missing from the Rokus. 

The other way around there are hundreds of apps not available on a NOW TV box, but most you'd never install anyway. Popular ones are Netflix, Google Play, WWE and the Roku Media Player. 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

On a proper Roku as well as the apps @Anonymous User Mentioned above, you will also be able to get ,cinema now' and 'Sainsbury's entertainment on demand' Both of these services support ultraviolentAnd supports in some respects somewhat better than 'flixster' does. Between ' Sainsbury's entertainment on demand' ' cinema now' and 'flixster' you should be able to access all the movies in your ultraviolet collection

My advice would be if you can afford to buy a proper Roku get a proper Roku because in terms of accessing now TV (apart from the lack of a sky sports HQ app) . The experience is exactly the same as nowTV box. Once you've signed in to the nowTV app that is. If you love your streaming services you get access to a whole lot more on a proper Roku venue do the nowTV box.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@dr_necessitor Great spot. The interface looks clunky but the fact that they now have NOW TV, Netflix and Amazon in one streaming box is a biggie for them.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@dr_necessitor@Andy

Thanks Smiley Happy

Just installed it on my Roku Streaming Stick

Resisted free trial and will play more later.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Be interested to know what you think about it once you've had a play, looks a very similar interface to the Flixster app which is quite clunky to use.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy

Will do - must be well over 2 year since last used Flixster