cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku 2 Device Rename not sticking

Since the maintenance window last week, I noticed that my Roku 2 (which I had renamed as "Roku 2" long, long ago) was listed as "NOW TV Box".

Have since renamed the device back to "Roku 2", but following every session of using it to watch NOW TV, it gets renamed back to "NOW TV Box" when I look at Manage Devices on the website.

Anybody else noticed this?

Any chance of getting this put on the list to be fixed @Anonymous User ?

18 REPLIES 18
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi Everybody,

Can you try again re naming your devices under "Manage Devices".

Don't know if this is a temporary blip but i have just renamed my NowTV smart box in the Living Room and "touch wood" it seems now not reverting back to the default name on my account.

Been testing for about an hour, letting the box going into hibernation mode, signing in & out and also rebooting the box from the power mains and so far it seems to be saving the new device name given.

Could anybody else concur?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Good spot. Yep so far seems to be working.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy @schnapps @dr_necessitor @Mark_Weinreb

Guys

The only way to know if the name change sticks is when the forum software undergoes some minor maintenance, because we all know that most name changes have not survived an update so far.

I am inclined to wait until the @Anonymous User reports that the "Rename reversal" bug has been fixed.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

my renaming of devices under the Manage Devices section in my account is still not keeping the names.  I have been checking it out over the last few days and it is not losing them all, but at least 1 or 2 of my 4 device name reverts back.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Yes mine too, I have 3 Roku boxes registered and all renamed last week and all have reverted to default name, it would be more useful if it would give at least part of the serial number in the description, this must be known by the system so why cant this be used as well as a reliable name change process.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have contacted NowTV technical on more than one occasion now as EVERY TIME I rename my devices, when I log back in to my account they are back to the original name, Roku or Now TV Stick.  I rename 2 of my devices 30 minutes ago, and hey presto they have gone back to the default names. This is really frustrating because I have 4 devices and therefore have to go and turn on each one, watch it then log back in and rename the device.  NowTV technical even renamed them from their side last week and half an hour later when I logged back in 2 of my device names had been removed.  NowTV PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE rectify this problem!!!!!!!!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The re naming bug under Manage Devices was originally fixed back in October, where most nowtv users that i have chatted with since, reckon they are not now encountering any problems,

However since the end of 2017 myself and @lockmatt have been having the same issue like your goodself (see recent thread discussing the matter below, where i have flagged this up with the NowTV Team).

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Account-Offers-Promotions/box-names/m-p/461572#M25811

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

On my boxes, the “fix” only worked for a couple of weeks. Frankly, I’m not holding my breath that it’ll ever get fixed.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been using the NowTV devices for well over a year now and the renaming of the devices always defaults back no matter how many times I rename them.  I now have all NowTV sticks instead of the boxes, and the renaming still disappears.  Very frustrating as I have 4 devices!!!!!