cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Reducing data use on metered Internet

I have a Roku Streaming Stick, and need to find a way to reduce the quality of the downloaded video (typically NowTV films) so as to help keep within my internet data cap.

I've seen the bit rate adjustment page but I don't think this actually affects the amount of data - just the way in which its downloaded?

I've already set to 720p

Up to now I've been spoiled with unlimited tethering data on 'The One Plan from Three', (uk mobile provider) however that luxury has now gone.

I'm not sure NowTV has the same flexibility as Netflix in deciding bitrates, but maybe someone can point me in that direction.

Whilst I can always pay for more gigs, it starts getting serious money above 50GB

Due to my location - I have to rely on Internet thru a MiFi unit from a data only sim, and have about 20g of 4G data to play with each month.

Any ideas please?

6 REPLIES 6
BicBasher
Elite

Now TV uses a system where the bitrate is adjusted to the speed of your connection.

If you get 4MB down or above, you will get the full bitrates for all the channels.

Some tips:

Watch live where possible, the bitrates are lower than the 3100mbps catch-up/box sets streams (except for Sky Sports channels, Nickelodeon and Nick Jr.)

Live stream bitrates tend to be 2500mbps for Ent channels and 1700mbps for the Sky Movies channels.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks BicBasher

thats really helpful. If I were to limit my connection speed below 4mb - by perhaps turning off 4g.... And also maybe 3G. Then would the slower speed use less data from my allowance?

am I right in understanding that watching films is one of the most economic uses of the data?

BicBasher
Elite

Hi @Anonymous User

Turning 4G off yes, 3G no.  However even if your 3G is above 4MB down, it'll still render the same amount of data.   2G wouldn't be able to render a stream.

The most economical way of watching is to watch LIVE movies only which use the least amount of bandwidth.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@BicBasher wrote:

Now TV uses a system where the bitrate is adjusted to the speed of your connection.

If you get 4MB down or above, you will get the full bitrates for all the channels.

Some tips:

Watch live where possible, the bitrates are lower than the 3100mbps catch-up/box sets streams (except for Sky Sports channels, Nickelodeon and Nick Jr.)

Hi @BicBasher

Don't you mean 3100Kbps or 3.1 Mbps Smiley Wink

3100Mbps would be a ridiculous bit rate that not even my Internet connection could handle

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
BicBasher
Elite

@commanda6 wrote:

@BicBasher wrote:

Some tips:

Hi @BicBasher

Don't you mean 3100Kbps or 3.1 Mbps Smiley Wink

3100Mbps would be a ridiculous bit rate that not even my Internet connection could handle

Of course! Smiley Embarassed

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@BicBasher wrote:

Of course! Smiley Embarassed

Hi @BicBasher

No worries. Smiley Happy I only pointed it out because a lot of people get confused between the different notations so I wanted to avoid confusion.

But I think in your case it was probably just a typo Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.