cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Only using 1/4 of my screen

When I start playing a movie it only plays in the top right corner of the screen!!!!!!! I have tried several different movies and all do the same 😡 It's not my TV as all other channels are fine!!!
245 REPLIES 245
Anonymous User
Not applicable

After having a web chat with a NowTv advisor this afternoon I have cancelled all my subscriptions and will not be coming back until this problem is sorted! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why? Why on earth is this taking so long to fix?

From the earlier suggested solution, along with the fact that this isn't happening to any other channels on my Roku box, it would suggest that the Now software is trying to recreate the wheel and detect the screen size for itself. Again, why?

The Roku firmware upgrade may well be the cause of the problem, but that doesn't mean the firmware is at fault. It feels as if they've bug fixed something that the Now channel was using. None of the other channels are displaying this problem.

Whilst we await a proper fix, can't Now at least issue a build that allows users to override the defaults irrespective of the screen connection they're using? Surely that shouldn't take weeks?

In the meantime, we're paying for a service we can't use on our TVs.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

mlang wrote: 

In the meantime, we're paying for a service we can't use on our TVs.

Hmmm...

Ask yourself this... If LG upgraded the firmware on my LG television and the Now TV app stopped working correctly, who's fault is it? LG's or Now TV's!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Ask yourself this... If LG upgraded the firmware on my LG television and the Now TV app stopped working correctly, who's fault is it? LG's or Now TV's!

Well, if no other apps on my LG tv had a problem with the upgrade, I'd blame Now TV.

Following your logic, we'd still all be using Internet Explorer 6, even if it was incredibly insecure, because a couple of terribly written web pages wouldn't display on anything else.

The Roku SDK and design guidelines are there so that things like this don't happen.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

mlang wrote:

Well, if no other apps on my LG tv had a problem with the upgrade, I'd blame Now TV.

Your logic is wrong because LG (or in your case Roku) should have checked the compliance of the Now TV app with their proposed new firmware before releasing it. This is basic alpha/beta testing - 101!

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

WRONG!

How many apps/channels do you suppose are in the Channel Store? And you're saying it's Roku's responsibility to check that every single one of those works with the firmware before releasing an update?!  That's NOT how this kind of thing works.  Roku is not responsible for what NowTV does - it provides a platform, it provides guidelines and instructions for creating apps on that platform, it is the responsibility of the app developers to make sure that they keep their app up-to-date with the latest developments of the platform on which the app runs.  When a firmware update is due, Roku releases updated guidelines to bring your app into line with the firmware update and make sure it will keep working.  If you don't bring your app into line is Roku supposed to delay the release of its firmware update for all the other apps that have gone to the effort of making sure they will work?! Of course not!

When Apple updates iOS does it have to check that all the millions of apps in the app store will work with it? NO! It releases notes and guidelines and then it is the APP DEVELOPER'S RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that their app will work with the upgrade.

When Microsoft releases a new version of Windows, does it have to delay the release because the makers of some obscure piece of software haven't updated the software to work with the new Windows? Of course not!

mlang's analogy with Internet Explorer and outdated websites is bang on the money.  That is exactly how it works!  The fact that NowTV is the ONLY app that is having this problem is a clear indication that there is something wrong with it.  Whatever method it has chosen to implement is clearly not in line with every other app on the platform and is no longer compatible with the platform - it only has to do what all the other apps have done that are still working perfectly fine despite the firmware upgrade!  This is NOT Roku's responsibility, and it's not Roku I'm paying a monthly subscription to for a service that is now broken and not being delivered as promised!

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

In most respects I would agree with you.

However, the Now TV app was working perfectly on the device before Roku upgraded their firmware. Which suggests it originally passed Roku's SDK compliance testing.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I seem to be having the same trouble with my nowtv on roku. We have a Now TV box in the living room and do not have any issues. Only since it had obviously updated the software has it had issues (only showing film on 1/4 of screen). All other channels are working perfectly fine. What do I do???
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User do you use a HDMI lead? If you do head to Settings -> Display Settings and switch it from SD/HD to 720p/1080p. If you use an AV cable it won't be possible to change this, however if you can use a HDMI lead for a couple of minutes other have reported that the change stays in place after returning back to the AV cable.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I followed the advice about plugging the 2400 Roku LT into an HDMI link (on a friend's television). I did nothing else to the device, except reset it, as it did not seem to want to fully connect. On bringing it home (and having to set the whole thing up again) I now have full screen on Now TV. This makes no sense to me as I had reset the Roku on Roku's advice already to no effect, but I thought I should at least thank those who have come up with this (very strange) solution - which some of us might be able to use (though obviously not all those affected). My thanks, specifically, to artsea for posting this.