cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now box plug sparking

I have a now tv box I have been using successfully for a couple of years. Suddenly this evening the plug started fizzing and went bang! And fused all the lights. Having re-set the fuse box I have tried other appliances in the same socket which seem to be fine so the plug of the now box seemed to develop a fault. Quite frightening and incredibly dangerous. Has anyone else experienced this?
13 REPLIES 13
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

That is absolutely terrifying to hear @Anonymous User.

For safety's sake, please don't use the box again. I haven't heard of a message on the forum before about this happening. 

@Andy you are online, have you heard of this happening before??

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

As there are no NOWTV staff currently online, for now I would have a word with live chat.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/troubleshooting-now-tv-box

Click the link and then the green contact us button at the bottom of it.

Then select live chat.

Best on a PC/Mac.

A NOWTV staff member should pick this up tomorrow as well for you.

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, I did speak to live chat who said because I hadn't bought the box from their website they weren't interested!
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User No, that's the first time I've heard of that happening on the forum, so I think unfortunately you've been unlucky and for whatever reason the power supply has blown. Your distribution board has tripped as a precaution on detection of the short circuit. 

Unfortunately your box will be out of guarantee now, and theres no user serviceable parts in the PSU so it needs to be replaced. Whilst you can buy PSUs for a fiver from Sky there's no guarantee the box hasn't been damaged so I'd recommend buying a brand new box instead (the black NOW TV boxes can be picked up from Argos for £15 with 3 months Ent or 2 months cinema).

And as mentioned don't be tempted to try the PSU again.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. That's useful to know
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User was the plug on the Now box plugged directly into the wall socket? The reason I am asking is you might have a problem with your socket shorting.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It was plugged in to a double wall socket. I did wonder if it could have been the socket so checked a couple of other appliances in the same plug which were all fine. I then tried the now plug again and it sparked and shorted again
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @4268 @Andy @caseyb1993

Hi Roli

Just a thought, I never plug computer or other electrical peripherals directly into a wall socket, I tend to plug them into "surge protected sockets" instead, like the one pictured:

Masterplug Indoor Surge Protected Sockets.jpg

I have always found this to be a safer option.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

It's a shame you are not down my neck of the woods, i have about 25 number of these spare nowtv boxes in the cupboard without the voucher code passes (you could have had one for free if you lived near me).

Agree what @Andy suggested is to pop into your local Argos and pick up a new box with either the 3 month entertainment or 2 month cinema voucher code pass included for £15.

NowTV boxes.jpg

These are the nowtv spare boxes that i have accumulated, purely taking advantage of the vouchers inside the box.

I think this photo was taking about a year or so ago, i have added a few more boxes since.

BTW Anybody know if there any of £20 deals out there at the moment for the 6 month entertainment or 4 month cinema pass ?

On the lookout for some new vouchers and nowtv boxes to add to my collection.

The triple AAA batteries and HDMI cable always come in handy around the house.

Perhaps if Sky Accessories Store are out of stock and they are looking for an urgent source in the UK to replenish their stock of replacement remote controllers and power adaptors they could always tap me up and i am sure we can come to some reasonable agreement for a small fee to take these items off my hands Smiley Very Happy