cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV on Roku Stick ?

Im looking into getting a Roku Stick for my parents as the NowTV boxes don't have netflix on them.

So my question is, can my parents buy the Roku stick and access NowTV and all the catch up stuff with my account ? I know you can only have 4 devices whilst 2 watching at the same time..

thanks

17 REPLIES 17
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

That should be fine, just bear in mind if you haven't got a Roku account currently, you will need one setup when first using the Roku device and will have to also provide bank card details.

Make sure both on the Roku account and nowtv account you add a payment PIN.

Out of curisoity which Roku model are you thinking of buying for your parents ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply
We are not sure yet, I have suggested this one ? https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/smart-tv/roku-express-s...
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I have a Roku Express and it's a nice streaming device for the price with all the main Apps, and works well on Netflix, NowTV and Amazon Prime Video, together with the main terrestrial TV Catch up Apps Smiley Happy .

Not sure if your parents will be watching Sky Sports via a NowTV sports pass, but if they are septable to judder motion then just be aware the Roku Express is fixed at 60Hz playback.

I notice judder on fast moving sports when devices have a fixed video playback output at 60 Hz when viewing broadcasts at 25 or 50 fps for mainly UK content, but watching Nowtv entertainment / movies or Netflix doesn't seem to effect me. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Schnapps

I get slight motion judder on my cheaper TV but its definitely acceptable, on my new LG 4K tv is smooth and perfect.

They have a high end pioneer so should be fine.

Which box/stick do you recommend ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I have both the Roku Express and Roku 4K Streaming Stick Plus and if I was in your shoes unless you want to splash the extra cash for auto playback frame rate on the Roku 4K Plus model, then I would chance my arm with the Roku Express.

Just make sure that the Retailer you buy the Roku Express offers a no qubible returns policy if the 60Hz playback bugs your parents when watching content.

Also, just be aware the Roku Express is a miniature size compact streaming box and needs to be in the field of view of the IR Roku remote controller and is not a stick device as such which you plug out of sight at the back of your TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It’s not a 4K tv they have, it’s a pioneer 507XD ( 720p )

Do you think the playback would be ok, Is there any way to check before buying ?
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The Roku Express should look fine PQ wise on a Pioneer 720p Plasma TV, the question is that would you parents notice the slight judder with the added frame make up on a 60hz playback device.

The only way is to test a device that outputs 60hz and watch 25 / 50 Hz content or take a chance by purchasing the Roku Express and if you parents notice the judder all the time and can't live with it, then send the Roku back to the Retailer who offers a returns no questions ask policy within an agreed set time period.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

One last question, how does the box get it's power ? As its an old TV i don't think it has a USB port

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The Roku Express comes with a USB mains outlet power adapter in the box Smiley Happy