cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 REPLIES 265
chilli2
Elite

The search function has always been a bit hit and miss, in the UIK at least, reading various reviews it would appear to work well in the USA, but somewhat not so well in the UK  as not all UK services are inculded

Legend 5
Legend 5

I am wondering if the version Amazon are selling a different version to the other retailers of the device. As folk there say voice search works on the remotes. They also appear to be selling the Ultra but says with that cannot get iPlayer.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268

I believe they might be unofficial American imports from third parties.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps ultra definitely seems to be. I am wondering if the express and streaming stick plus on there also are and whether that effects which apps work if purchased from there.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268

My guess would be that if it's sold directly from Amazon Warehouse or Prime it would be the Roku official UK version with identical specification and features sold by other UK authorized Retailers. 

Where other Roku versions may or may not be an unofficial import, i find with Amazon customer reviews they seem to combine different devices all under the same umbrella. 

Ideally, if somebody on here who has purchased or imported the new 2017 Roku players from America can confirm if the voice over feature works on their device and what streaming Apps are voice supported.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268

Maybe fire a question to Amazon UK to see if they can provide you the answer or if Amazon offer a no quibble full refund take a risk on the Roku Streaming Stick Plus which mentions the voice search feature (ie imported version) ?

Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps I guess might be worth asking  Amazon customer services if it has voice search and works with Now, Iplayer and TV Player.  I am guessing Netflix and Amazon will work because they are US based products.  Then if it doesn't work can return on the whole doesn't work for a specific purpose reason.  You seem to get contradictory answers on the questions and answers at times so I don't hold a lot of faith in those.  On some devices I have seen answers which are totally wrong.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268

This is a photo of the Roku Streaming Stick Plus (American version) where you can see a microphone button directly above the play / pause button.

01-roku-streaming-stick-plus.jpg

This is a picture taken from the UK website showing the picture of the UK Roku Streaming Stick Plus remote where the microphone button is replaced with a magnifier symbol button which i assume is a search button rather than a voice command button.

Roku Streaming Stick Plus remote.png

chilli2
Elite

Quick heads up, the stick+ is now down to £69 on amazon

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Tesco are also selling the Roku Streaming Stick Plus for £69.

Noticed that Amazon US are currently selling the Roku Streaming Stick Plus for $48 Smiley Sad

Shame us UK customers don't get the same sort of deal, if i could pick up a UK spec player for £50 or less then i think i would bite Smiley Happy