cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 REPLIES 265
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Looks like the Engadget article is true, the two new players are shown on Roku UK website  Smiley Happy

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/streaming-stick-plus

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/roku-express

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps The prices are accurate as they feature on the Roku UK site as well, but they definitely need to put new batteries in the calculator they use to work out the UK price of the streaming stick! 😄

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

I wonder what made them pick those two models at bring over. I would have expected them to go with the 1080p streaming stick and the Utra as the top end model personally. Nice to see we are getting them tho, might mean some sleeker looking versions of the NOW TV Box coming up.

Happy Christmas! 😄

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Would have preferred myself the Roku Ultra Box with the Ethernet port, it will be interesting to see how the new remote WiFi antenna cable works over a 4K HDR stream.  

Here's the picture of the Roku Streaming Stick + remote controller, out of the four direct access buttons only Netflix is useful to me (wished Roku had the more popular streaming sites on their quick access keys).

untitled.png

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Interesting that on Roku UK website, under "Where to Buy" there are four suggested Retailers , Sainsbury, Asda, Tesco's, and Costco.

Where i am sure when i was looking into the Roku 2 & 3 recently on the Roku website, the four Retailers on their list was Argos, Tesco, Amazon UK and Currys ?

Wondering how low the prices will drop for the Roku 2 & 3 from Amazon, Argos if they will offer a clearance price similar or cheaper than the Currys deal of £34 ?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Yeah I know, it's even worse than the direct access buttons on my Roku 3, dunno why they've got rid of YouTube in favour of YuppTV! Still at least they've got rid of rdio which have been closed down for years! Why they can't make them programmable I don't know.

Like you I would have preferred a set top box for the premium model. The streaming sticks look great in pictures but by the time you've got them dangling off a HDMI extender and connected to power and now you've got a separate wifi antenna cable as well (I hope that's not just a gimmick) then it all looks rather inelegant in real life! Still I notice the new 4K Amazon TV box is designed to flap around behind the telly and it no longer has an Ethernet cable and instead you have to buy a separate Ethernet dongle. They do have some strange ideas!

Still I'm sure it will be fab when you get it, you'll have to let us know your thoughts!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

just read some more information about these new Roku Players on the internet and it looks like you can place orders from the Roku website on the 18th of October and both players should be available at retail stores by end of October 2017 Smiley Happy

Just need to decide now whether to go for a New 4K HDR Fire Stick (where i got a £15 off LoveFilm discount code & must use by end of the month) or the New Roku Streaming + 4K HDR stick (where i can use my £10 Tesco Clubcard vouchers) against my payment.

At the moment i am swaying towards the Roku with the benefit of having all the main three streaming services that i subscribe too (even though it's £10 more expensive).

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

just read some more information about these new Roku Players on the internet and it looks like you can place orders from the Roku website on the 18th of October and both players should be available at retail stores by end of October 2017 Smiley Happy

Just need to decide now whether to go for a New 4K HDR Fire Stick (where i got a £15 off LoveFilm discount code & must use by end of the month) or the New Roku Streaming + 4K HDR stick (where i can use my £10 Tesco Clubcard vouchers) against my payment.

At the moment i am swaying towards the Roku with the benefit of having all the main three streaming services that i subscribe too (even though it's £10 more expensive).

@schnapps Go for the Roku streaming stick plus, you know you want to. Smiley Very Happy Don't forget that on the Roku you will have access to Google play movies and TV as well. The YouTube app on Roku can also play your Google play movies and TV purchases. If you so wish , something which the YouTube app won't do on Amazon Fire streaming devices

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6

Just waiting for a couple of UK Reviews before pulling the trigger on the Roku Streaming Stick + Smiley Happy

Want to make sure that both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video are 4K HDR, reading on the internet that YouTube is only 1080p and not 4K (No big deal breaker for me, but would like confirmation).

Would also like to know from the UK reviews the performance of the WiFi antenna streaming 4K HDR where the Roku product information quotes four times more powerful than their pervious WiFi antenna used on previous Roku products.