cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 REPLIES 265
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @herojan

Yeah, i believe the 4K channel store is for US customers only.

I am totally baffled why you can't see the UHD content options when accessing the Amazon Prime App Smiley Sad

I am guessing you have tried manually forcing 4K 60hz HDR in the Roku settings rather than letting the Roku Auto detect your TV display (if even your TV is not HDR compatible) ?

herojan
Expert

@schnapps

yeah, tried fixing the resolution, reinstalling the app, reregistering the app, but no luck.

i did get a follow up email from amazon, so provided more info.

if i get a resolution i will post it here in case it is of use to others.

thanks.

• Roku Streaming Stick+ | S/W 8.1.0 | Now TV app v3.12.132 | Wifi (DHCP)
• Internet - Plusnet Fibre @ 36M

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @herojan

Hope you get it sorted soon, it must be so frustrating when you can't access the Amazon UHD library on the App, where others like myself had no problems.

I for one will be definitely interested on how you managed to resolve it (fingers crossed you get there in the end) and like you said it could help other Roku Stick Plus owners who read this forum on here that encounter the same problem as your goodself.

Good luck with it.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Some good news for Roku Stick Plus UK owners, where according to this linked news article below Roku are rolling out an OS8.1 update from the 1st of May which includes the addition of a voice search feature which was omitted on UK spec Roku Stick Plus devices for us owners in the UK Smiley Happy

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/roku-vs-fire-stick-3460980

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Some good news for Roku Stick Plus UK owners, where according to this linked news article below Roku are rolling out an OS8.1 update from the 1st of May which includes the addition of a voice search feature which was omitted on UK spec Roku Stick Plus devices for us owners in the UK Smiley Happy

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/roku-vs-fire-stick-3460980

The voice search feature is now working on my Roku Stick Plus and seems to be performing quite well from my limited testing so far Smiley Happy

Looks like the voice search engine collects results from the main streaming services such has Nowtv, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Google Play (Movies & TV) Smiley Happy

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Another cool feature that i only just noticed on my Roku Stick Plus since the roll out of OS 8.1 is the 4K Spotlight App where it helps you find 4K content such has 4K UHD Movies, 4K TV and 4K Videos from the different streaming services on the Roku platform Smiley Happy

herojan
Expert

cool, look forward to the update. thanks for letting us know.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @herojan

Did you sort out the problem you had with the Amazon Prime App watching 4K UHD content on your Roku Stick Plus ?

herojan
Expert

@schnapps

Sort of. I gave up with Amazon support, after being pushed from pillar to post and having to repeat myself.

Spontaneously the app has decided to give me a line of 4k TV content on the main page and it works fine.

I have noticed that occasionally the stick doesn't detect the native frame rste of content, and doesn't like the ITV hub much at all.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @herojan

Glad you can now find and watch the 4K UHD content via the Amazon Prime Video App.

My auto refresh detect rate on my Roku Stick Plus works really well, where to be honest i haven't tested it out on any of the terrestrial catch up Apps such as the ITV Hub etc where i find the PQ poor, due to that i am so used too HD quality streams nowadays.

Saying that I have watched stuff on the BBC iPlayer App which looks excellent especially the sports streams at 50fps (take note NowTV).

At the moment the 4K Spotlight App on the Roku Stick Plus seems to have access to mainly the Amazon 4K movies and TV shows library all in one place, where under the 4K video category sections there is a limited amount of YouTube Videos.