cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV app unwatchable on Roku Box

When I first bought the Roku box with 6 months entertainement it was perfect for about 2/3 weeks. Connected straight away, no buffering, picture as good as anything I've seen before. I couldn't be happier with it. 

Unfortunatley after this everything went wrong. If I try and watch anything on the NOW TV app it is almost unwatchable, the picture is pixelated and grainy, I would say it is a worse picture then you stream something illegally. It also started buffering alll the time. I checked my internet single, fine, nothing had changed form when I first got the box and it was perfect. I chnaged the display type, the bitrate try the Home x 5 etc method, loads of different combinations. So reset my internet, unplugged it everything. Still awful picture bufferin etc. This is only when I use NOW TV app, bbc iplayer, 4od are fine. So I got in touch with NOW TV, told them all this and they told me to reset the roku box, so I did that. Worked for all of 30 mintues before the picture went again. I'm talking just a little bit grainy and pixelated im talking worse than anything I've watched before. I checked my internet again using NOW TVs link the same as when I was spekaing to them on the chat, it's fine, I run fast enough to work the service. The annoying thing I watch NOW TV on my ipad app, and its perfect. HD, non buffering. Now I'm not an expert, a tech perosn at all, but my ipad is connected to my internet. The same as the Roku box is, however the picture is awful on through the roku box and not on my Ipad it doesn't make nay sense to me. I am so frustrated becuase I know how well it can work, those first 2/3 weeks I oculdnt fault it. I'm a fan of traditonal TV boxes I think they are overpirced and you are limited, this was the answer for me. I can watch things when I want and it's not going to cost me 80/100 quid a month. But I can't cope with not being able to watch it becuase the screen is so bad.

I just want someone to tell me if there is anythign I can do to solve this? Tell me something I haven't tried yet, becuase to my knowledge i've exhausted all resources. If I cant get it better I'm going to ask for my money back for the box. I will keep my subscription but I will just watch through my ipad, which is such a shame. 

Sorry for the wall of text and thank you to anyone who can give any advice. Really like the content on NOW TV but whats the point in it if i can't watch it.

Emma

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Looks like you have gone through all the things that i would have done.

Most of the time rebooting the Router will do the trick if you have sufficient broadband speeds in your house.

I am assuming you are using the Roku box over WiFi, if so have you checked in the Roku box menu settings under Network to see if you are getting a excellent to very good signal reception over WiFi ?

If the WiFi signal is poor check that there nothing interfering with the Roku box and possibly look at changing to a different WiFi channel or if your Router is dual band then maybe try the 5ghz WiFi frequency spectrum.

Would it be practically possible in your case to try an Ethernet cable between your Roku box and Router where it should give a more stable streaming experience.

Hopefully other helpful forum members will come up with some more suggestion to try.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

Thank you for your reply. The signal strength is always stated as good to excellent. This is what I don't understand. As of last night it wont even load anymore. Not even a case of poor picture quality anymore simply wont load any shows/movies. Unfortunately I can't use an thernet cable as I can't move my router. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi Emma

I too own a Roku box, actually a Roku 3, and the only time the quality drops as you describe is when the Internet connection becomes congested, like a traffic jam, or there is some sort of interference.  However, I note from your post that you have not changed anything, to your Internet or Roku, since you have installed your device.

In that case, I would just like to ask if you have moved any other electrical or magnetic device closer or next to your Roku box? If so, that could cause the problem you are experiencing.

Anyway, here is a bit of "Roku Planned Maintenance" news I dropped earlier today:

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Roku/Planned-Maintenance-on-Roku-Devices-23rd-August/m-p/439126/highlight/true#M3169

It might help but you will only have to wait until 23rd to see.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy

I haven't moved anything no. I wonder if it could be a faulty box? Such a shame if so. It is not even loading shows/movies at this point. picture so bad you can barely make out a person. 

Thank you for your reply.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I am running out of suggestions to be honest, have you tried deleting the NowTV App, then reinstall the App back again on the Roku ?

Perhaps then try a forced software update on the Roku box ?

I know it's a lot of time and hassle but if i was in your shoes i would try once again a factory reset (even though you mentioned it only worked fine for 30 minutes or so previously).