cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi everyone,

My problem is the picture quality keeps dropping to insanely pixelated then goes back up to HD for a bit and drops again, making the watching of anything absolutely unenjoybable. I have a 1080p HD TV and decent wifi connection. Any ideas if there is a setting similar to YouTube where the picture quality changes when the Internet slows down and whether it can be turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

View solution in original post

157 REPLIES 157
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The same.  Rugby was unwatchable.  All other streaming services fine.  Very frustrating.  Will be cancelling my subscription unless it improves for the next game.  Highlights from alternatives were great and in HD.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just signed up for the 2 week trial

i am using LG and Samsung tv, both hardwired to the BT fibre router

also have a chrome cast 

all 3 systems suffer pixelation problems with NOW

however all three will stream BBC HD, amazon and Netflix without problems

such a disappointment , not sure this is worth the money 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why not publish these tips so we all have access to the answers. Now TV is very tempremental. It should be better by now. If not improved shortly I will cancel as net flix is superior
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So the NOW TV app is constantly dropping - PC via app, white box, xbox one.  ALL other services run fine including Amazon Prime, Netflix and Iplayer.  Not to mention the DL speeds I get on xbox one at 60mbs. Speed is fine so please do not even mention that as I have 130MB routwer speed with various speeds throughout devices ranging 60mbs - 100mbs with ping level at around 14/15.  EVERYTHING WORKS but NOW TV.  Sky need to sort this now or I will also be cancelling.  Watching football the other week with my Dad and I was actual apologising to him for my poor picture quality and buffering - not good enough.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Well S

I do not use the Now TV app myself but have you tried to update it to the latest copy?  Also, I remember that someone else had the same problem as you do, they were advised to use the Now TV app from the help web-site, here:-

https://help.nowtv.com/gb

Hope this helps.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same problem here too. Also, just wanted to say that shows often include their own subtitles so not sure why people took issue with that.

But yeah, this awful pixelation makes shows completely unwatchable. What’s up with that?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Before anyone replies suggesting the same stuff, I’ve tried all the steps you mentioned save a wired connection which isn’t possible.

I stream content without issue from a number of competitors, it’s only Now TV I have an issue with. My internet speed isn’t the issue.

It feels a little like now tv customers aren’t really thought about. No proper solutions seem to be offered for years.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I'm having the same problem. The internet works for all other apps - Netflix, BBC iPlayer etc, but always struggles with now tv. This is why I have stopped my subscription so many times. How can it be resolved, without wiring the tv to the internet? Wifi works completely fine with all the others.....
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Add another one to the list. I can stream 4k with no problem, can watch the other apps with no problem... But the NOW TV app frequently degenerates to an unwatchable quality. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Me too. Had enough now.