cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi everyone,

My problem is the picture quality keeps dropping to insanely pixelated then goes back up to HD for a bit and drops again, making the watching of anything absolutely unenjoybable. I have a 1080p HD TV and decent wifi connection. Any ideas if there is a setting similar to YouTube where the picture quality changes when the Internet slows down and whether it can be turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

View solution in original post

157 REPLIES 157
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

This past week I've seen numerous entertainment channels pixelated on the ethernet connected Roku 3 to the point that they are not watchable. NowTV's Sky Movies, Netflix and Amazon Prime all fine though. No issues with our fibre connection at the time it happens. I can switch over to Netflix and no picture issue, switch back to Now TV and it's still pixalated so can't be a problem this end. I restarted both the router and Roku any way but no difference. 

Any one else experiencing this lately? 

Not had any issues personally using roku and I'm on normal broadband not fibre, funny enough I had problems when I had virgin fibre it was awful after 6pm.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not to add fuel to this long burning fire, but I've had the same issue with abysmal picture quality for quite some time. I have the white Now TV box and subscribe to the movies, entertainment and kids package. As with all of the other complaints, I have tried every suggested fix provided. My internet speed is more than adequate (running around 20 on average,) so while this is my first complaint about this issue I'm just about done with Now TV and have been looking for a replacement service. I would be more than happy to stay if this problem is resolved.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Over the last two days I've had the same issue. Picture only keeps dropping in and out to poor quality. Not happy. Using a roku 3. All other apps etc fine just NOWTV movies.hdmi,internet etc fine.not had this in four years I think of use!

Any suggestions,I've contacted Roku support who have escalated?

Hard to watch a film now.

SS

Anonymous User
Not applicable

suggest people read this article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/26/sky-launch-full-pay-tv-broadband-struggles-hold-satel...

makes you wonder if parent company sky are doing this themselves

that or they have not jacked up the server pipes feeding out and now thruput is at limit.

Popeye13
Scholar 2

This has been an ongoing issue for years, where the servers get overloaded as the NowTV service uses the same servers as SkyGo!

They get overloaded and crash and they're weak servers because it takes next to nothing to crash them! Sky know this and yet, years later, we're still having this conversation where Sky/NowTV try and pass the buck to the customer instead of themselves!

I can stream 4K & 1080p from Netflix and i don't have a single buffering issue or loss of anything. Same device, using SkyGo, and i get constant drop out, loss of resolution to what looks like someone hung a net curtain over my screen, the quality becomes so poor, and then buffering again!

It is Sky, entirely Sky and Sky know this! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This may sound silly, but my picture went very poor after moving things around in my home.

I had put my cordless landline charger/..handset right next to my router and had awful picture.

Seperating them by a foot brought picture quality back to what it was before.

Mayb a coincidence, but worked for me !!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The NOWTV screen clarity haus suddenly become terrible and sinilar to the experiences of others on here keeps going from high quality to low quality blurred and pixelated. I have a high speed internet connection and don't have this problem with other NowTv ape namely iPlayer and ITV hub. Please advise on what the issue is and how it can be resolved.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

When watching any of the channels live through my now tv box it constantly freezes and then is playing catch up. I have fibre broadband, and reset the box multiple times so do not understand why this keeps happening?
chilli2
Elite

This is the Roku section, so your question may get a better reply in the correct now TV section ( white box/black box/smart box)

One likly issue could be poor wifi, have you tried changing the settings on your router? try an app such as wifi scan on your phone.

There is a Roku speed test app/channel that should alert you to poor wifi ( not sure if its in the now side of things)

another option would be to connect via ethernet, if the now box's support this

also se this answer on page 1 of this thread, but as mentioned you may be better asking in the relevant now tv box sub forum

[quote]

Hi @Dumblepatch

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

Please click on Thanks if I've helped.
I'm a Community Contributor not staff, therefore I can help with issues about the service, but not account related issues.
If it solves the problem, please mark it as an accepted solution to help other members.
Thanks!

View solution in original post[/quote]

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same issue with picture quality. I bought a sports pass on Saturday and was unable to watch the rugby as the picture quality was awful. Same with movies and kids. Can you help?