cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi everyone,

My problem is the picture quality keeps dropping to insanely pixelated then goes back up to HD for a bit and drops again, making the watching of anything absolutely unenjoybable. I have a 1080p HD TV and decent wifi connection. Any ideas if there is a setting similar to YouTube where the picture quality changes when the Internet slows down and whether it can be turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

View solution in original post

157 REPLIES 157
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I too am suffering with poor/unwatchable picture quality during the Ryder cup.  Picture was great tostart then 10 mins after the start on Thursday it deteriorated.  It's now a lottery as to whether it's watchable or not.  Everything else through the OW box is crystal clear so no wi-fi/Tv issues.  Complete waste of money!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having exactly same problem with roku 2 box connected to my tv, got infinity 2 from BT usual speeds around 55 so no problems with any other broadcasts   . trying to watch Ryder cup golf and very blurred picture quality. any ideas?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch!

Your speeds sound more than enough, are you able to try a wired connection via an ethernet cable between the box and the router?

Thanks

Rob

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I get same problem but don't get poor quality picture with netflix so must be problem with nowtv

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This seems to be a common problem with no common solutions. I don't have the facility to connect via a cable so Wifi is my only choice. The frequency of poor quality picture is making us re think having a Now TV account and currently looking at other service providers. So frustrated with the service.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

This seems to be a common problem with no common solutions. I don't have the facility to connect via a cable so Wifi is my only choice. ...

Hi @Anonymous User,

Actually, when you take into account the number of subscribers, this particular issue is not that common an issue!

Sufficed to say, if you're unable to directly connect your NOW TV playback device to your router via wired ethernet, Powerline adaptors work really well. And offer a much more stable and reliable video streaming experience.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm getting the same problem it only happens when watching movies. Everything else plays perfectly and it doesn't happen on my tablet phone or laptop only on my roku 1 box.  I've been using it for two years with no problems and nothing has changed.  I also run amazon prime and netflix on my roku with no problems at all

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Sorry to hear that your experiencing a dip in picture quality.

Just to see if it makes any difference can you perform a power cycle for me please.

So unplug your Roku Box, turn off your router at the mains, power your router back on, once your Internet has come back start your Roku Box back up and then see if that makes any difference to your viewing.

Let us know how you get on.

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Watching the jungle book on ps4 pro (wired gigabit). Connected to 80/20 business grade fttp. Speed tests always spot on 75-78, 19-20. Using ubiquiti gigabit switch and USG pro-4 firewall with cat5e/professionally installed and tested cabling. Netflix and Amazon prime working perfectly in 1080p with 5.1 sound.

So I concur with other users, seems to be issues with now TV service delivery. Based on the limited device support my guess is now TV is not allowed to get too good as it would impact sky Q....

Ironically I would happily pay more for better device support (nvidia shield/Amazon fire)and quality (1080p+/5.1) and don't want (will not get) a satellite dish.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This past week I've seen numerous entertainment channels pixelated on the ethernet connected Roku 3 to the point that they are not watchable. NowTV's Sky Movies, Netflix and Amazon Prime all fine though. No issues with our fibre connection at the time it happens. I can switch over to Netflix and no picture issue, switch back to Now TV and it's still pixalated so can't be a problem this end. I restarted both the router and Roku any way but no difference. 

Any one else experiencing this lately?