cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

"Screen recording software detected"

Hi everyone,

I've just signed up for NowTV, I keep getting cut off saying that I have screen recorder software running, I've missed quite a lot of the match I've paid £20 for a month pass to watch.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I'm on a Macbook 2018 (OS 10.14).

Thanks lots!

R

75 REPLIES 75
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had same problem and shutting down my MacBook Pro (2018) and restarting seems to have solved it . Does not seem to work for everyone unfortunately according to other posts

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Me too. Rubbish. 

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

Hi guys, we'd like to replicate this for investigation.

Could you help us here by providing the following?

• Mac OS version

• App version

• Are there any other screens/TVs/video capture devices attached to the Mac?

Thanks

Simon

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Simon, Mac OS latest Big Sur 11.6, but i think the most important bit is
that Telegram application was running and I believe it was recognised by
the NOW player as recording software, hence the player refused to work. The
version of the player i have is 8.5.1, haven't upgraded it yet.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Simon-J 

I'm having this very same issue.  I've been around the cycle of emails where I"m asked to disable screen recording equipment, provide hardware and software details etc etc and haven't got anywhere.

I don't have any screen recording apps running, and have quit anything that seems like it might obviously cause a conflict (eg Teams), although these are still installed.  Prior to getting this message I was getting the more general message about connection issues.   Its deeply frustrating as it seems like basic functionality on a Mac just isn't there.  I've been a member for a couple of months, been unable to watch anything, and there doesn't seem to be any potential solution.

Oddly, I also can't log into the website at all when using Safari, only when using Chrome (it's not a password issue).  

I've tried the solutions identified above about dropbox, screen sharing and quitting apps like Teams but the issue remains (and I don't have Telegraph installed).

Please find a solution... 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So... I seem to have resolved this myself after going round the Helpdesk loop and ending up back at the start having to provide details of software versions etc again...

I thought that getting rid of Chrome extensions and turning off Dropbox resolved it for me but it always seemed a bit inconsistent.  What has been consistent is that NOWTV works fine if I turn ON my VPN (which is usually off when on my home network, unless I forget).  Which is kind of odd/annoying given that every other streaming service seems to stop working when it detects that you're using a VPN...!

I still don't understand why this is such an issue for NOWTV when its not (or is managed much more effectively) but other streaming services like Netflix & Amazon.  

But, thats how I'm resolving it for now.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

macos 12.0.1

nowtv 8.7.0

Nothing else plugged in to the mac except my mouse. 

I have no idea which app is causing this, though. I closed Telegram and Discord and it's still erroring.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Almost identical to me - 12.0.1 macOS Monterey and NowTV player 8.8.0 and I get about five seconds before I get the message. Shut down literally every other app and still not working. Waiting for the technical team to get in touch about it

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exactly the same as me! No other apps open, mac, immediately get this error!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Simon-J I am concerned that your software is monitoring what is running on my computer. What assurances can you offer around the security of the metadata you are gathering within the context of GDPR regulatory compliance please?