cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
test1234
Mentor

Web content being censored

Hi there, I'm having an odd issue. There is one page that I like to visit and it looks like NOW broadband is blocking videos from this website.

I can watch those videos when I'm using my mobile internet (o2) or when I'm using Now broadband combined with VPN (I'm doing it to bypass the censorship). But when I'm using just NOW broadband, then videos from this website are blocked.

It looks like Now is censoring some content. What should I do to turn off this censorship? I've disabled Broadband Buddy. I've made sure that I don't have any restrictions set up directly on the router. What other restrictions can be applied by Now and how to disable those? I've been checking all settings and couldn't find anything else.

Thanks in advance for any help!

6 REPLIES 6
redchiz1
Champion 2

If you have Broadband Buddy set at 18+ then the only reason I can think that the site is banned is because of breaching Government regulations, have a look here:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/websites-blocked-under-order-of-the-high-court

RoyB
Legend

@test1234 @redchiz1 

It seems unlikely that O2 would let you look at stuff banned by the High Court.

If you have Broadband Buddy disabled, @test1234 , then re enable it, and then set it to 18+.

You will then be able to look at stuff which will sear your retinas @

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB You'd think, but try it if you don't believe me e.g. a famous torrent site on your BT connection and then with a mobile hotspot. 

You cannot disable Broadband Buddy, merely change the ratings as I mentioned earlier. 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Exactly the same results; some proxies worked, some didn’t, same on each, except that BT on WiFi came back instantly with site can’t be reached, and hotspotting (which is just using the ISP of your mobile services) just hung on the same sites with the bar about an inch long.

I wouldn’t expect different; these are all going to be UK ISPs anyway. And neither came back to say the sites were actually banned, they just pretended they couldn’t reach them,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

OK. Thanks for explaining what "hotspotting" is btw, I understand what you mean even though I have never come across that word before.

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

I’m disappointed as I thought I’d made it up, but not so, it seems 😢

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hotspotting