cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Virus when installing NowTV update with Firefox

Hi there,

I have to download an update of the NowTV player for my PC (Windows 10), and I have tried twice and both times my antivirus software flags up TrojanMSIL.Crypt.dnri as a threat. When I agree to delete this file the download fails.

Could anyone tell me what I could do about this or whether there's an issue with the update?

Thanks,

Schneids

54 REPLIES 54
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Think I have sorted this now by going against Kaspersky's recommendations and adding the file to my 'don't scan/ignore' or whatever they call it list. Kasp. says I shouldn't do this, but I have - if I now get anything dodgy, I blame nowTV! If you don't hear back from me, assume it has gone fine, wish me luck....

....it seems to have wqorked, I think.....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cheers nico, will try that later...
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Nico, I've downloaded it fine now & given it a seperate scan just incase - all clear.

I'll install it later.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Weird

It downloads fine on the laptop (with the latest DATs on Kaspersky), but my PC, which I want to install it on, still picks it up as malware (also with the latest DATs), and deletes it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Rats.

Spoke too soon, Kaspersky quaratined the file on both machines. It still picks up a trojan.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have updated Kaspersky but it is still flagging the download up as malicious and deleting.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Kevsd - ooh risky.
Let us know how it goes.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Guys

Although I am not a NowTV app user I have, in my time, come across software/applications that have exhibited behaviour similar to the one you are all experiencing.

OK, it's quite obvious that the current NowTV app has an internal module that's showing virus-like behaviour and, as such, being flagged up as dangerous activity. I am also guessing that this "suspect" module may not have been written by the programmer but more than likely borrowed from somewhere else, i.e. some other program, to save time.

Now realistically, there are only two things users of this NowTV app can do:

1) Wait until NowTV updates this app, this will take time and could be quite expensive for NowTV to put right, i.e. pay a programmer to re-write the suspect module and re-test the updated app to make sure it now works. However, no in-house testing can duplicate real world conditions.

2) Mark the NowTV app in your anti-virus checkers as a program that should not be checked, all anti-virus applications have this facility.

And finally, I would imagine NowTV would wish you guys would select option 2, certainly for the short to medium term.

UK Bob

PS. I have attached no malicious intent to the original programmer or NowTV but be aware that some companies do install spyware , adware and other stuff in some of their apps, e.g. Windows 10.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy Thanks for providing your insight. Certainly helpful to other users.

We are certain that it is being flagged as a false positive and have investigated one of the possible causes.

Nonetheless, we don't recommend setting your anti-virus software to ignore it.

Luckily there is a third option which we have already put into effect, and that's to use the full installer that was previously downloaded and installed by the web installer.

If you haven't got the player installed, you can download it here:

https://web.static.nowtv.com/watch/NOWTVPlayerInstaller-Full-Windows.exe

This has also been updated on the NOW TV website.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Nicholas

Thanks for replying, and as mentioned before, I am not a NowTV app user and so would not have  known about the third option.

However, you have confirmed that the "warning" users are getting from their anti-virus programs are false positives and, as such, should not pose any danger to users computers, certainly not in the medium term anyway. And, as most people know, the exception facility within anti-virus applications is there for such events as "false positives".

Still, as you say, it's preferable for users to use the third option rather than the second one I mentioned in my previous post.

Cheers.

UK Bob