cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Very Poor Audio streaming quality on new NowTV player

I recently started a free trial of the entertainment pass to start watching Game of Thrones. Everything was working fine on the Silverlight player (although it's pretty annoying having to use that) but today the site forced me to download a third party NowTV player app to watch content.

I have installed the app but now the stream quality for the audio is extremely low. The video is fine, but the audio is clearly stuck at the absolute lowest possible streaming quality. I have very stable high speed internet and a capable PC; I have used services like netflix and amazon video many times and had no problems streaming at the max settings, even with 4K content.

Given that there are absolutely no options or diagnostics of any kind in the NowTV player app there is nothing I can do but post here. Very dissapointing performance - I can only assume this is a bug in the software or the streaming service. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and deleting all nowtv related cookies from my browser but neither of these things have helped.

39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I am a brand new customer to NowTV and have been thoroughly enjoying Game of thrones. Unfortutely it seems that from season 4 and onwards, the sound quality of the stream has been really low even when the video quality is fine. Seasons 1-3 didn't have this problem and I hope it is something that can be fixed.

Thanks, Alex

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum @Anonymous User,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. First things first: -

• What's the make and model number of the device(s) you're using to access and play NOW TV content?
    [ie: a NOW TV 'black' box, a NOW TV 'white' box or a NOW TV 'Smart' box. Or a 'Games Console' of some type, a 'Set Top Box' of some type, a 'Smartphone' of some type, a 'Tablet' of some type, a 'Windows PC', a 'Mac' computer or another type of device]
  • If you are using a computer, what's the operating system version?
  • How is your NOW TV playback device connected to the internet. Is it via a hard-wired or wireless (WiFi) ethernet connection?
  • If you are using a wireless (WiFi) ethernet connection, have you selected your routers 2.4GHz or 5GHz frequency band/channel option?
  • What things have you already tried to get your NOW TV playback device working again?

Sufficed to say, the more detailed information you are able to provide, the easier it will be for us NOW TV forum members and/or a NOW TV Team member to work out a solution for you!

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

1) Windows Laptop

2) Windows 10

3) Wifi

4) 2.4 GHz

5) I tried watching on my windows desktop conntected by wired ethernet, tried restarting both systems. Neither worked.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for the info.

Given that other Windows computer users have reported similar audio issues, this topic has been moved to the forums dedicated Windows PCs & Laptops sub-section.

By-the-way... Have you tried connecting to your routers and computers 5GHz frequency band/channel option?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Hi @Wild,

Thanks for the info.

Given that other Windows computer users have reported similar audio issues, this topic has been moved to the forums dedicated Windows PCs & Laptops sub-section.

By-the-way... Have you tried connecting to your routers and computers 5GHz frequency band/channel option?

Cheers

@SeeMoreDigital

I am also experiencing poor sound quality on both my MacBook Pro and iPad with the NowTV player app on both, so the issue is not exclusive to Windows devices. If the abysmal audio quality can't be improved on these platforms then I will surely be cancelling my subscription.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Speed of wifi will not affect sound quality. It appears that now tv streams are a trash bit rate. Really tinny sound.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Running NowTV play on MacOS High Sierra, Chrome 64.  Just signed up, watching the series Deadwood,  getting same poor, tinny sound.  Awful streaming quality for €15 / month.  I can watch netflix on my old iPhone 3GS at higher quality.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I abolutely agree. Very very poor audio. Come on... sort it out!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

3 YEARS LATER and If I watched a bad torrent with a sock over my head it would still be a better viewing experience than NowTV desktop! On top of that you can't even Chromecast from the browser anymore and the android app crashes EVERY time you open it. Complete and utter garbage Sky. I'm taking my money elsewhere.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having exactly the same issue with the NOW TV Player. Wasn't sure if I was imagining it, but it does indeed sound awful. Almost robotic. Googled it and yep, loads of people having the same issue. Video quality is fine though (HD).

I've just paid £17.99 for the 3 month pass. Can't believe this is what it's gonna be like. Honestly, I would've had a better user experience if I'd just torrented.