cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Very Poor Audio streaming quality on new NowTV player

I recently started a free trial of the entertainment pass to start watching Game of Thrones. Everything was working fine on the Silverlight player (although it's pretty annoying having to use that) but today the site forced me to download a third party NowTV player app to watch content.

I have installed the app but now the stream quality for the audio is extremely low. The video is fine, but the audio is clearly stuck at the absolute lowest possible streaming quality. I have very stable high speed internet and a capable PC; I have used services like netflix and amazon video many times and had no problems streaming at the max settings, even with 4K content.

Given that there are absolutely no options or diagnostics of any kind in the NowTV player app there is nothing I can do but post here. Very dissapointing performance - I can only assume this is a bug in the software or the streaming service. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and deleting all nowtv related cookies from my browser but neither of these things have helped.

39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, just signed up to Now TV - downloaded NowTV app, started to what a programme and sound is echoing. Checked forums ect. and ended up here. Any easy fix - I'm not one to waste time on other peoples bugs, so if it's not quick I'll cancel the subscription and make sure people know of the issues before they waste their time.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK, sorted, don't use the Now TV app - therefore you can't use Firefox of Chrome. Used Internet Explorer and Silverlight and all good. I suppose releasing a buggy app drives people to buy the Now TV box, if you're into conspiracy theories 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having the same problem with now tv player,audio echo.Have resorted to IE with silverlight like before we got the now tv player.It seems like we have your money tuff,will not be renewing my subscription when it runs out if this is not sorted.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I tried the IE silverlight approach. It is 720p and the audio is definately not much better if at all. Obviously not an expert but SURELY it isn't that hard to create a highly compatible video player with minimal issues such as these awful audio issues. It doesn't take much further of a look to see Amazon Video and Netflix with literally 0 issues as well as MUCH better video players with various features that are just simply missing from NowTV's horrendous joke of a player. I have never bothered with NowTV because all of the content on here simply doesn't interest me in comparison to its competitors.

However NowTV is my only choice when it comes to watching Game Of Thrones so here I am, and I cannot believe how terrible the player is. Is it a new release? Was it like this in the past or is this just bad timing on my part to join when there are issues? And why ON EARTH do they have to be so awkward and seemingly bought out by microsoft? Not supporting chrome, not supporting FF, only available via their awful player or IE, which lets be real - Nobody wants to use. Literally everybody else in the market uses a web-friendly player with more options than just "fullscreen" and "volume". Those being the only options is actually a joke. Using this player I feel like I am either watching a dodgy pirated version or I am stuck back 10 years or so where players were a pain to use. The only other video player I can think of that is even close to being this bad is BBC iPlayer and that is a service used for FREE. The fact you have to pay for this is just another awful flaw.

In the end, how hard is it to create a web video player that is compatible with most if not all setups and software. And if you are charging 6.99 for people to use this player for all the content they pay for it damn well better compete with its rivals (Netflix and Amazon Video to name a couple) and have at least a little more features than just fullscreen and volume. Shockingly awful.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to confirm what others have said. Unable to use the Now TV Player because of stutter/echo problems. Able to use Internet Explorer and Silverlight instead.

When using the Now Tv Player, task manager showed CIsco VideoGuard  taking up 30 - 40% of my CPU resources with 4 different versions of Now TV running taking my CPU to 100%. Closing the player closed both the CIsco service and all 4 versions of NOW TV. 

Internet explorer uses about 30% of my CPU resources.

I am using Windows 10 on a new laptop and have had no problems with other video services. I used to use NOW TV on my old Vista laptop and was always happy with the performance.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The IE and silver light suggestions doesn't work for us Mac users.  Glad some found a way around this app's issues.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have just recently got everything connected up and I as I have had as much interest in surround sound on films I am very dissapointed with the sound on this streaming service. I do not spend thousands on a quality sound system to have low grade

sound from nowtv. I think I will stick to buying Blurays and get the  sound that the director intended.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

How do i force internet explorer to play via silverlight and not through the app?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Perhaps this help guide article might point you in the right direction.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/google-chrome-silverlight-compatibility

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is anyone else having trouble with the audio on the nowtv player app from windows? I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app but no luck. The audio sounds similar to a stutter or an echo. Hoping to watch Game of Thrones but can hardly stand 2 minutes of this let alone a full episode. 

The sound jumps a lot and is especially noticable on speech.